Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why the US needs to embrace DIESEL

Re: Why the US needs to embrace DIESEL

Quote Originally Posted by Crinale
    I have a big issue with this statement: where do you think that electricity comes from? most of this country is still powered by coal-fire power plants, which are some of the biggest contributors to air pollution that exist. Just because the pollution isnt coming directly from your vehicle, doesnt mean that you arent contributing to pollution.
    Coal-fired power plants are on their way out, but even with them a regulated power plant still produces less emissions than a bunch of individual cars. Particularly autos that are only being driven a few miles on each trip---my 4Runner barely gets warmed up before I shut it down--the pollution levels are so much higher on these short drives before the engine is warm and the ECU is in open-loop mode with no input from the O2 sensor.

BTW, here's a shot of my parking garage at work today. An electric Mini Cooper, a Volt, a Nissan Leaf, a plug-in Prius and either an electric GEM or the Mercedes equivalent, not sure which. I wish I had a 1973 Ford LTD with a fake powerplug to park between them.

China is the main source of problem on a couple fronts and it comes down to their coal-burning electric plants that at one point were coming online at an astronomical rate of one per week. China has been focused so much on getting results that they haven't been concerned at all about the environmental impact. So when we talk about regulated, more environmentally friendly coal plants we're really only talking about the US which pales in the number of coal plants to China.

As far as the black smoke from getting aggressive on the throttle of a diesel, the new diesel emission standards that came out in 2008 (i think) are very strict (VW had to cancel an entire model year of diesel engines just to come up with a new engine that adhered to these regulations). The black smoke is just carbon and a very small bit of fuel which doesn't build up in the atmosphere and doesn't really affect anything around it since you can only stomp on the throttle like that only so often unless you are going out of your way to get your car to belch black smoke, so I think it's a moot point to bring up black exhaust unless the engine is running on a grossly rich fuel map.
    [glow=blue,2,300]2002 4WD TOYOTA TACOMA "TURTLE TACO"[/glow]  <All the goods listed here>

Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by Crinale
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4
    I'd like to read more about the Li-ion air pollution. Do you have a link?
    i read that a couple years ago about the 3rd gen prius.. ill see if i can find it again..
    as of yet, i cant find it again, sorry.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234