Last month I decided it was time to give my truck a break from it's daily driver duties and put it in the stable. To replace it, I got a 2010 VW Golf 2dr TDI and man am I glad I did when I realized how much fuel and money I was saving. With my truck I would barely squeak by 200 miles on a tank before I was running on fumes and seeking out a gas station. This figures out to be filling up once a week, provided I drive nowhere but to and from work. Now I can get 600 miles on a tank in my Golf and it has made a big difference for me. It used to be that if I did drive it somewhere, I would always be slightly worried that my truck was going to get broken into or some was going to steal some of my shocks in the parking lot so it's nice not having to worry about that anymore.

It felt really weird the first couple of weeks when it came time for me to leave the house and actually made me kinda sad that I wasn't taking my truck to work anymore. I guess after you have a truck that you bought stock and turned it into a full-on desert prerunner over 6 years of faithful service that you get pretty attached to it.

It is different driving my Golf compared with my Tacoma on the freeway because when I'm driving my truck, everyone sees it and clearly respects my space whereas in my Golf, people tend to not see me so I have had to adopt a much more defensive driving style.

The new Golf is a real hoot to drive for what it is though. The different power that a diesel engine delivers is still a tad weird but it is nice to be able to pass people on the highway easily without having to put my foot through the floor.