Thread: Got me a new DD

Got me a new DD

Last month I decided it was time to give my truck a break from it's daily driver duties and put it in the stable. To replace it, I got a 2010 VW Golf 2dr TDI and man am I glad I did when I realized how much fuel and money I was saving. With my truck I would barely squeak by 200 miles on a tank before I was running on fumes and seeking out a gas station. This figures out to be filling up once a week, provided I drive nowhere but to and from work. Now I can get 600 miles on a tank in my Golf and it has made a big difference for me. It used to be that if I did drive it somewhere, I would always be slightly worried that my truck was going to get broken into or some was going to steal some of my shocks in the parking lot so it's nice not having to worry about that anymore.

It felt really weird the first couple of weeks when it came time for me to leave the house and actually made me kinda sad that I wasn't taking my truck to work anymore. I guess after you have a truck that you bought stock and turned it into a full-on desert prerunner over 6 years of faithful service that you get pretty attached to it.

It is different driving my Golf compared with my Tacoma on the freeway because when I'm driving my truck, everyone sees it and clearly respects my space whereas in my Golf, people tend to not see me so I have had to adopt a much more defensive driving style.

The new Golf is a real hoot to drive for what it is though. The different power that a diesel engine delivers is still a tad weird but it is nice to be able to pass people on the highway easily without having to put my foot through the floor.
    [glow=blue,2,300]2002 4WD TOYOTA TACOMA "TURTLE TACO"[/glow]  <All the goods listed here>

Re: Got me a new DD

wheres the pix.....
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

ryan,

how long have you been on land now? good to see you back. i too have thought about buying a golf tdi but sell the 4runner in the process.

...i couldnt do it

but yeah, i love those tdi's. what options did you get? I went to the vw website and see you can only get 17" wheels---just one choice. i dont like that style, i like the 5 spoke better.

I'm also thinking of getting a 2 door Golf TDI. My first car was a white 78 VW Diesel. I'm looking and only want a manual.
    Cupholder Mod

Bob - I've been back for a while now but life's a lot busier these days.

The TDI's come with bluetooth, upgraded stereo, satellite radio, fog lights, sport suspension/seats as standard. I like the wheels on mine (17") but they aren't the coolest wheels out there by any means. The 17" wheels are what VW puts on all TDIs but I'm sure you could have the dealership swap them out with the 5-spokes.

Mine has a sunroof and a manual gearbox and it's BLACK. Adding the fancy DSG paddle-shift gearbox is a pricey option and weighs another 200 lbs over the manual.
    [glow=blue,2,300]2002 4WD TOYOTA TACOMA "TURTLE TACO"[/glow]  <All the goods listed here>

Quote Originally Posted by jrallan26
    I'm also thinking of getting a 2 door Golf TDI. My first car was a white 78 VW Diesel. I'm looking and only want a manual.
    If you can wait for the 2012 models to come out, I would wait until about a month after VW's year-end clearance sale of all of their 2011 models, and then walk in and ask about the 2011 TDi's they couldn't get rid of. That's what I did and the salesman was so happy to be rid of their last 2010 model that he sold it to me for invoice without haggling.

If I ever get a DD, I'd consider a VW TDI, or an IS300.

I really liked the 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition:

-Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

^ I bet that Jetta can still pull over 40 mpg.

The thing that I love about diesel cars is that just about any mod you do to increase the power also increases the mileage, AFAIK.

Ryan!! Glad you are back bro. Sounds like a nice DD...I just sold my IS300 a couple weeks ago and am now DD my 4runner (not the one you remember)
    1995 4runner--SAS'd and armored--GONE

1998 4Runner--under construction--GONE

2003 4runner...the new project

Marc, I did see the thread where you talked about your trade. It must have been tough seeing someone else drive away Goldmember.