Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: you should wind synthetic winch line differently

you should wind synthetic winch line differently

not much of a post but i learned this weekend that doing a neat and tidy rolling of sythetic winch line is not a good idea. under pull sytetic can work its way down into the roll and get stuck between other cords. wire cant do this because it cant deform its shape. i had a neatly wound reel and ended up with only 15 feet usable on my first pull because it was jammed in there so tight that i couldn't pull it out.

Navigator

Re: you should wind synthetic winch line differently

lol, so its better to have it rolled sloppy? so that its crossing the previous rolls rather than running with them?
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

yup my drum looks like someone was making a rubber band ball now. unsightly but at least it wont get stuck any more. i googled and found other people had the same solution too.

I have experienced this before. Makes sense.

What if you do a tight row, then jet across twice, then another tight tow, and so on?
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

might work well. hey is yours hard to free spool? i also read that the xrc8 can be improved with a grease change. they use some thick honey stuff in there that makes free spooling in the cold a real effort

anyone have pix of how syn. should be rolled up ?
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

just angled the wraps over the ones underneath is all you have to do. nothing fancy and really easier then making things tidy.

synthetic line

thankx
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162
    might work well. hey is yours hard to free spool? i also read that the xrc8 can be improved with a grease change. they use some thick honey stuff in there that makes free spooling in the cold a real effort
    Ya, the couple times I've used it, it's quite the task to pull the cable out with the clutch released. Many times I find myself bringing my truck close to the stuck vehicle, and with the winch's clutch released and the cable hooked on, backing up a good distance, letting my truck pull the winch cable out instead of pulling the cable out by hand.

What grease are people using? I don't know if I could get my winch out of there without pulling the bumper off.
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

mine is pretty hard to free spool when the weather is warm, i havent attempted such a feat in the cold.

i will likely replace my grease this summer. i was going to go with a high temp moly grease that i have sitting around. i believe it is this one, or very similar:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc..._&viewAll=true

i purchased it as an assembly grease for doing ball joints and bushings and such.

im wondering how much is enough for that gearset? i guess when i pull it apart and pull the factory grease out ill attempt to measure it and replace it with an equal amount.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast