Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: you should wind synthetic winch line differently

Re: you should wind synthetic winch line differently

i just pulled it apart and it is nearly 100% full of grease from the factory. the grease they use is defiantly the cause of all the drag, but it looks like really nice super high pressure grease. i cleaned out what i could by paper towel but did not use break cleaner on it. then i filled it with the marine grease ive got. maybe it will spool a little faster but the stock grease is best for the winch id say. if you search it looks like we have t-max style gear sets so inherently they will spool a little tougher then other winches since the gears are all moving during free spool

worked the winch repeatedly last night on clawhammer. the messy roll is deffinatly the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162
    worked the winch repeatedly last night on clawhammer.
    Thanks again man! Was a fun night even with the breakage!
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

no problem, just wish that thing would spool easier. i might douche out that grease and replace with gear oil, but i need to research that first so i dont mess it up.

i wouldnt replace with gear oil, just some high quality grease that is a little thinner than the tacky resin they put in there from the factory.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

im gonna check out gear oil since that will offer the least resistance, but maybe a good flush and repack with normal grease would work good enough to make me happy. the freespool is a real chore as it stands. ive also got to figure out if paying out rope with the motor while in freespool damages the clutch just the same as it does when the winch is engaged.

if it dosnt damage it in freespool then heavey protective grease will allow it to pay out line while in freespool best. that works well enough but i dont understand the clutch side enough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12