Thread: custom long travel kits

custom long travel kits

i hae been readin a little bit about blazelands long travel kit, and seeing how this was made and is bolt on i am wondering if anyone has made(or tried to make) their own custom long travel kit? and if so, how did it go?

Navigator

Re: custom long travel kits

i dont think anyone other than blazeland has tried it.. and im pretty sure no one on this forum was brave enough to try even that kit. i wouldnt want that kind of stress put on the stock stamped steel arms *shudder* Ive got a custom fully boxed with 3/16" plate LT on my rig.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

How did you make it? and i was just pondering the thought that if someone were to cut the A-arms and weld in some metal(i dont really know the different types of metal) and put them back on..... long travel? lol im sure it would be weak but you could always put a shiz ton of bracing on or something.

do you have the plans from yours?

Navigator

i dont, my fabricator designed my kit in solidworkz.. my kit mounts with all the stock mounting hardware (cept it uses Delrin instead of rubber for bushings) and its a fully custom kit.. i pull about 13" travel out of it. Iv got build pics on my other computer, and ill be on it later, ill try to remember to find a few to put up on here.

My kit uses the same dimensions as the Total Chaos kit.. this was done to retain 4wd using T100 CVs
    - Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kdogy313
    How did you make it? and i was just pondering the thought that if someone were to cut the A-arms and weld in some metal(i dont really know the different types of metal) and put them back on..... long travel? lol im sure it would be weak but you could always put a shiz ton of bracing on or something.
    Not criticizing, just saying that if you, "dont really know the different types of metal" you may want to stay away from custom building a part of the suspension that will keep your front tires pointed forward at highway speeds. Most of the kits and components available have been through prototyping and testing long enough before release that the builders are reasonably sure there isn't a potential lawsuit right around the corner waiting to wipe out their livelihood.
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Navigator

that is a good point corax.. and the reason i didnt build my own suspension, i left it to a professional fabricator that works on desert race trucks, and has a Mechanical Engineering degree from Cal Poly.
    - Kevin

Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by kdogy313
    do you have the plans from yours?
    I just posted a build thread (lots of pics):
    http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...6&topic=9608.0
    - Kevin