View Poll Results: Where would you draw the line and consider a non-oil derived power source for your daily driver?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • $4/gal

0 0%
  • $5/gal

0 0%
  • $6/gal

4 26.67%
  • $7/gal

5 33.33%
  • $8/gal

3 20.00%
  • $9/gal

0 0%
  • $10/gal or greater

3 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spin off: at what $/gal would you ditch gas?

Spin off: at what $/gal would you ditch gas?

Eventually the cost of gas is going to go up even higher than it is today. At what point would you start to seriously look at some kind of alternative fuel vehicle, whether that means pure electric, hydrogen, or something else.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Re: Spin off: at what $/gal would you ditch gas?

it wont be a dollar point it will be when it makes economic sense to switch. the price tag of the next option will play as much as the cost of fuel. i didnt buy a 24K prius just to save 50 bucks in gas a month when it hit 4.50 per gallon.

ill take a guess that that would mean over $10

I'll say $7 per gallon.

However, it will depend on the availability and cost of alternatives. As of right now, there isn't much widely available, nor incredibly affordable. Sadly I have a feeling prices will reach those levels before most can afford something else, and when you consider there won't be any trade in value for your gas/diesel powered vehicle (except government incentives, but those won't work if everyone is trying to trade in...), you're going to have a lot of people who will have a hard time affording $15k+ vehicles (and 15k is a cheap estimate for electric cars, now or in the future).
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

In a perfect world of supply and demand, I'd hope that $10/gallon would drive the demand for a cheap alternative
    2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4-Dub<br />TRD supercharger,&nbsp; Toytec Coilovers, OME 890&#39;s, 285 Duratracs

Also, at what point will the government step in and establish a price freeze on gas?
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

I said $7 as well, but I wouldn't switch away from gas, I'd just build one of these for commuting to and from work :

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Cant, have to far to travel and public transportation here is the pits. Id buy a motorcycle instead and enjoy 50-70mpg. Think a nice honda or suzuki enduro would work well.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

I vote $8/gal. After gas breaks $5/gal I'll be looking for a motorcycle to commute on. I want to do that anyways, and I hope to have one next year. Once gas breaks $8/gal I'd be looking into getting an electric car. I wouldn't bother selling the 4Runner because I think I'd have a hard time selling something that gets about 17mpg if gas is that high. I'd probably even get rid of the gas-powered bike in favor of an electric bike at that ppg.

Great topic. FWIW I won't put a future price cap on things simply b/c after getting my degree and having taken all I learned into account I came to the conclusion I want to work within a 10-15 mile radius of home if in a metro area. The 10 mile radius is the premium figure where anything after that I seriously start to place a dollar figure for every additional mile. Most people hiring right now aren't even willing to look at the $25-$30/hour figure that I am worth at minimum so why waste my time with trying to commute to a job that won't pay that figure so I can life responsibly and financially secure, right?

Besides, at the 10-15 mile mark I can just as easily ride to and from work if I am forced into an underpaying position. I'll save the money I might waste on gasoline for necessary things instead..or give in and get one of these since the wife doesn't want me commuting on a motorcycle on the freeways out here..

Would be kinda funny since I'm technically a rocker and the wife's a mod.

*I've yet to have someone logically explain the profitability index of gas sales in relation to market support levels. Keep going higher when people can't afford it, that's smart..and why Hawaii has an existing gas cap law.

Quote Originally Posted by CJM
    Cant, have to far to travel and public transportation here is the pits. Id buy a motorcycle instead and enjoy 50-70mpg. Think a nice honda or suzuki enduro would work well.
    Doesn't it snow over there in NJ?

And also, say the average gas tank holds 3 gallons of gas. That's over $30 to fill up your motorcycle to go 150-210 miles.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast