View Poll Results: Where would you draw the line and consider a non-oil derived power source for your daily driver?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • $4/gal

0 0%
  • $5/gal

0 0%
  • $6/gal

4 26.67%
  • $7/gal

5 33.33%
  • $8/gal

3 20.00%
  • $9/gal

0 0%
  • $10/gal or greater

3 20.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spin off: at what $/gal would you ditch gas?

Re: Spin off: at what $/gal would you ditch gas?

Im not sure at what dollar point it would take for me, geuss it would depend on how much Im making.

As I do outside sales, the price of gas does matter to me, Ive even looked at getting something like a civic or even a prius, but man, I cant stand the interior of the prius, or atleast from what Ive seen online.
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

I have my DD and I have my truck.
    But I think my breaking point if it were to happen today would be $6.

Both the Camry and until recently the truck are 18 gallon tanks. ($108 a tank roughly)
    Half my paycheck would go into fuel alone....

The unfortunate thing about that is we don't really have a vehicle in mass production that relies solely on another form of fuel, or at least one that is supported across the United States.

In the future if gas does rise though I would probably do what most of you have suggest, a bike, for majority of what I can, then have the Camry for the bad weather and the 4Runner for the horrible weather until support for alternative fuels is found.

This thread's depressing.

Probably around 7 or 8/gallon. I live 6-7 miles from work, which is close enough that I could ride my bike back and forth. If our sidewalk infrastructure was better, I'd probably be doing it already. The way people drive around here, I don't really want to ride on the road. I'd be afraid some moron texting their bff will run me over. But if gas hits 7 or 8, maybe I'd risk it.

I'd also consider buying a scooter or motorcycle. 100mpgs would be nice!

Maybe we can just drill for more oil in Alaska and re-open all the shut down rigs in the gulf. If gas prices go super high, it's just going to hurt the economy further.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter
    Probably around 7 or 8/gallon. I live 6-7 miles from work, which is close enough that I could ride my bike back and forth. If our sidewalk infrastructure was better, I'd probably be doing it already. The way people drive around here, I don't really want to ride on the road. I'd be afraid some moron texting their bff will run me over.
    if gas hits those levels, you probably wouldnt be the only one switching to alternate transportation, thus there would be less cars on the road.

and yes Shane, this is a very depressing thread.. mainly because it is bound to be reality at some point >.<
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Yeah... just imagine how much the cost of food/everyday necessities will go up if gas hit those prices.

It would take more than $10/gal prices for it to make sense for me to buy a hybrid or alternative fueled vehicle. Even at 3X the fuel mileage of the 4Runner, the 10,000 miles/year I drive is too little to cover the $25-30k (Prius, Volt, Leaf, etc.) purchase price plus insurance and registration. As fuel goes up I reduce my driving.

10k annual mileage / 17 mpg / $10/gal = ~$5890/annually on gas.

$25k car loan / repaid over 72months / 7% APR = ~$5100/annually for car payment not including the increased electric bill to power it, or the possible higher insurance premium depending on if you've got a new or old 4Runner.

Plus, that $5grand you paid in interest over the 6 years of repaying the car loan could have bought you gas for about a year.

I think the bigger question is at which fuel price level will the economy tank again.
    A good portion of your grocery bill is transportation (fuel) cost to get it to the store. Cost of living will go up significantly if the cost of oil goes up.
    2006 4Runner Sport Edition V8
    2011 4Runner SR5

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12