View Poll Results: What would you do?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Build

9 81.82%
  • Buy

2 18.18%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trailer: Build or Buy (M-416 style)

Re: Trailer: Build or Buy (M-416 style)

i absolutely love my m762 (3/4 ton, flat bed version of the m416)

that being said, im slowly working on plans for a new trailer. although, mine will be a bit beyond the typical m416 clone that most people try to do. it will be somewhat of a popup tent trailer type camper, just in a super small, offroad package. if/when i ever get to that, you all will be the first to know.

if i was to do the trailer thing all over again, i would build my own from scratch. i didnt have the time to build one when i needed it, so i bought one, and i am not disappointed by it. it is very difficult working around something, and much easier to figure that into your initial build.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    i absolutely love my m762 (3/4 ton, flat bed version of the m416)
    Yeah, that's the generator one! It's funny that it's the same suspension and everything but it's rated at 3/4 ton vs. 1/4 ton on the m416. I think the 1/4 ton rating on the m416 is because that is the weight that it was designed to hold and still float and it was originally designed for a 1/4ton jeep. I've put about 2000 #'s in mine a few times now. The axles are rated pretty high on them (I think 3,000+ lbs)

Oly, I would be on the lookout for a Pioneer Tool Trailer. I think you could modify one of those fairly easy to do what you want. Cool thing is that they already are enclosed and lockable.

http://www.vintagemilitarytrucks.com...%20Trailer.htm

Most of those look solid and look like the wiring will be intact. All it would need is to make your own pigtail to connect to the tundra. Super easy to do!
    My signature

Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    Most of those look solid and look like the wiring will be intact. All it would need is to make your own pigtail to connect to the tundra. Super easy to do!
    just a note, doesnt Oly have a Taco? thats whats in his avatar..
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

oh yeah for some reason I thought he had a 1st gen tundra... my bad
    My signature

Yeppers, I've got a Tacoma.

I'll keep an eye out for one of those pioneer trailers, looks like i could get away with minimal modifications which would also be nice. I'll talk to my subaru buddy, along with my brother to see what they think of the project!
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

I would love to build a trailer from scratch, but right now my focus is on the 4Runner.

This is one of my favorite trailer setups:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/trailer-tech...up-thread.html
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Wait 'til the money's right and IMHO build if you have the skills. It'll end up being lighter in weight and better materials which IIRC in the end will come out to be a cheaper expense.

Oh, and FWIW that's my fav too, it looks even better in person.

Well, unless I have come across a great deal, looks like I'll be going the build route. I'll still keep my eyes out for deals and what not, but I think I'll end up with a great trailer when all is said and done!

After talking to my Subaru buddy, I think we'll be able to pull this off. He's only got newer ('89+) suspension which is different than the suspension that deepmud on ExPo is using ('88 and older). He wants to try and see if we can get the newer suspension to work, but after seeing how easy it is to attach the suspension to the frame (4 bolts) it'd be stupid to not look for older Subarus.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Sounds good Oly. I look forward to hearing what your Subaru buddy finds for parts.

Erich
    -Erich
    99' Black Highlander 4runner / Garage Profile / Black P/C 8x16 Wheeler Off-Road alloy wheels / Husky floor liners / Thule MOAB Rack
    Alaskan Waterfowler Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Erich_870
    Sounds good Oly. I look forward to hearing what your Subaru buddy finds for parts.

Erich
    I'm going to try and head out to a pull-a-part this weekend and try to find the older suspension, but I think Friday night we're going to see how much fab work would be necessary to make the newer style (macpherson strut) work. However, I have a feeling that the simplicity of the older torsion bar style setup will be too simple to pass up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast