Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What welders do you all use?

Navigator

What welders do you all use?

Well, I'm thinking about picking up a welder, and was wondering what you all use.

Iv been looking at the good ol' Lincoln AC/DC 225/125 "Tombstone" stick welder. From what I've read you really cant get a better welder for the price of one of these, and they are incredibly durable/reliable, as well as being really good to learn on.

So, what do you use?
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Re: What welders do you all use?

110V licoln 135ST.
    It can weld up to 1/4" steel with flux core wire.
    Wish I could have gotten a 220V welder but we don't have a 220 anywhere in the house.

Stick welding is great but can make trying to tack weld something while holding it in position or whatever a PITA.
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

I've got a 220 miller mig. The cheapest one.

Migs are easier to learn to weld, as striking an arc isn't the easiest thing to do on a stick welder. They do make some nice beads though.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I've got a Lincoln 135ST as well. It works pretty well, I mean I am not going to be welding any rollcages anytime soon, but its good for just about anything I really need. As Scuba said it can do up to 1/4" with flux core, and mine has all the fittings for a gas hookup, I just dont have a tank.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I've got the cheap 110v, 80 amp flux core unit from Harbor Freight. I don't have the skill, time or need for hardcore stuff so that's why I have it. It's paid for itself a couple times and is still going strong. Next welder will be another 110V mig with gas. I don't have 240 in the garage but also don't have the need or space for a large welder.

You know, I'd almost recommend going with a 110v welder because it's much more portable in that you can use it anywhere. If a friend needs to fix a fence then all you need is a normal extension cord and a 110v outlet. The same can't be said for a 220V.

If you're going to be doing important things like suspension components, bumpers (recovery points), etc, then go for the 220V.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

i have a 220V craftsman mig 180 or something like that. it's either a hobart or lincoln, not sure.

its served me very well. my next will be a miller, a really good one (use one at school, the difference is worth the money, thats all i have to say.

for portability, dad has a 10kW generator that powers the welder nicely...
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Cant beat a hobart, Ive used the famed handler 187 more than a few times and been mighty happy-but if you dont have 220v its kinda tough.

If you want portability with a higher voltage welder you need a generator or somelike like Seans talking about.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

I am a beginner welder, and I bought a Hobart Handler 140 last year. It was super easy to learn to use, and I am very happy with it. I have been using flux-core wire, and have welded up to 1/4" thick steel. I have built bumpers and armor with it so far. It is a very nice unit, and not too expensive either.

Good luck!

Bandit Runner<br />2002 Sport Edition 4wd<br /><br />Mods:<br />SS 1.2 Lift, 1.5&quot; Body Lift, 315/75R16 Mickey Thompson MTZ&#39;s, Custom Front and Rear Bumpers and Skidplate, Custom Sliders, Eagle Alloy Wheels, Custom Snokel<br /><br />Next:&nbsp; Custom Belly Skid, Custom Roof Rack, Winch, 5.29 Gears, Locker?

I'm a Miller guy (Lincoln convert). I have a MM210 MIG (220v), 180SD TIG (220v) and 140 MIG (110v).
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast