Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Indoor rock lights

Re: Indoor rock lights

Sure. Let me fill up on beer and pork rinds before I crawl into a confined space to do intricate work. True story, let me know and I'll be there to poke holes in your house.

Notice: I am officially poaching Mike's thread. Here are my "house rocklights." The goal was to light the perimeter of my house for security, convenience and to some extent, architectural interest. Security-wise, I wanted light in the driveway, on both sides of the two side gates, in the entryway and above the rear sliding glass door.

Here are the housings:

Here is the front of the house with two light rigs over the garage door and one in the entryway.

I like having some light on the vehicles at night, particularly since the 4Runner is a hit among catalytic converter thieves. The corner of the house is lit and the entire pathway to the rear of the home is illuminated. The gate in this pic is wide open, but there is a light overhead on both sides of the gate for security. (The light you see directly to the left of the garage door is the house number.)

Here is a view on the same side of house; view looking from the rear of the house to the front:

The opposite side is lit too, no pic though.

And here is the front view:

The regular porch light (turned off for this pic) is mounted on the right side of the entryway, so previously there was no light outside of the entryway column, no light on the 90-degree sidewalk approach, and no light in the driveway. With one LED directly overhead in the entryway, light fills the area in front of window and extends far enough to illuminate the 90-degree sidewalk, aided of course by the lights over the garage. To the left of the home you can see the sidegate is illuminated as well.

I am really happy with the result. For one, there is light where the entire perimeter of my home was completely dark before. Now I can walk around the house at night without having to carry a flashlight. The light is dim enough to not produce excessive light pollution yet bright enough that hopefully thieves will be dissuaded. It's on a battery backup with the house alarm, so killing the power doesn't phase it. Total draw is under 14 watts and the one in the entryway is bright enough that I no longer use the regular porch light. I was planning on adding another light on the peak over the entryway but decided against it for fear of it looking too busy. Appearance-wise, I like the look but others may not. The next step is to add some LED pathway lighting to illuminate the rock steps in the foreground that you cannot see in the photo.

Funny that my house has rock lights and my truck does not.

Bookmarked!!!

Great stuff guys, thanks for sharing.
    Beau<br />Living Overland (coming soon!)<br />Gourmet Cooking&nbsp; *&nbsp; Travel&nbsp; *&nbsp; 4WD <br />Living Overland on Facebook<br /><br />Purchase a Foodie Sticker!<br /><br />&#39;98 4Runner SR5 5spd

I was digging around in my LED bin yesterday and found 3 extra cheapy ebay led's I bought for my 4Runner footwell lights. My plan is to put them in the eaves of a currently unlit portion of my house. I know, hard to believe I don't already have LED's over there.

The LED's are from ebay and come in a pack of 10. They are low power and self regulating. I bought them for footwell lights in our Subaru and 4Runner and an very happy with those applications.

In the photos above you can see I have some landscape lighting. It's Malibu brand and the lights are LED's (3 different types of fixtures). I plan to use the Malibu transformer to power the ebay LED's so they will come on at dusk where as the other eave lights are on a timer, no bigge.

The ebay LED's are 3000k and are as bright at the 0.5 watt Malibu pathlights in the photos above.

Fixtures are going to be easy and use some PVC pieces I already have in my stash (3/4" couplers). I made these test rigs and have them on observe. I want to see how warm they get and their beam pattern. So far they haven't caught on fire so things are looking good. The nice thing about low power is that they give off almost no heat. My digital temp gun shows them at 101* which is about fine.

Pics of my test rigs.

got a part number or some ebay search terms for those? I can't find them.

And damn you I don't need another project right now!
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I'll get you something when I get on a computer. There are a lot of different types. I chose these because of the color which is nice instead of getting something cold and blue. These are about half the efficency of a cree xr-e.

Kind of weird. I logged onto eBay and through my purchases I can found what I bought: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...d=621029099003

Now if I search the ebay number it shows this which is much more expensive: http://www.ebay.com/itm/130622606068...068%26_rdc%3D1

I paid $15.99 with free shipping. 5 are in our Subaru and 2 are in the 4runner. The last 3 are going in the eaves.

I like your price much better. Are you still able to purchase the ones in your first link for the original price? When I click on the first link, it asks me to log on and then it says the item is no longer available.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

That's what it says for me too. That link was from my purchased items through myeBay.

Well it took a couple of days but during nap time (wife, daughter and son) I got the light fixtures up today. I wanted something a little cleaner but it's not bad at all. I basically drilled a hole through the coupler and ran a screw through the empty fixture and screwed it into the short section of truss that is part of my eave.

This section of my house is only traveled by me and even then it's only about once a month and not at night. It's my side backyard and is nothing but a parking pad where I store my trailer. Both our bathroom windows look out there so I glance daily but never go back there.

Until now it's been unlit (dark). It's pretty inaccessible and if someone was hiding back there to get into the house they'd have to jump a fence and even then they'd have to squeeze through a small bathroom window smaller than my head.

Now if there was a bump in the night I could look out the window and actually see. The trailer is lit (unseen in the pic, it's at a neighbors house tonight) and very well actually. The leds are as bright and the same color as the crees I have in the other eaves and entry way. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and was way easy.

The only thing that kind of gets me is the heat. The front led emitter side is warm. If I reached up and touched it with my pointer finger it's like a 7 out of a 10, where as a 10 would make me retract. They are warmer than my other leds but my others are heatsinked. These would be very hard to heat sink because the back of them are circuit boards and you can't attach anything to them without shorting it out. Plus none of the heat comes off the back, it's the front where the light comes from. I'll run them for awhile and see how they work out. They run off my landscape lighting circuit so they'll turn off after about 6 hours of being on where the other leds run until sun up.

The cell phone didn't like looking up at them.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast