Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: hi - clearance 4Runner 84-89 build - toyotafiberglass

hi - clearance 4Runner 84-89 build - toyotafiberglass

Sean's 89 Special Edition

Rolled into the shop on Saturday , for some "treatment"

This is what it use to look like , but now has some rusty 1/4rs ..

here's where we're starting

86 4x4 ,&nbsp; fiberglass bed &nbsp; , 1/2 doors , hood ... more to come . <br />84 2WD &quot;hotrod&quot; Intercooled 7MGTE <br />83 Trekker SR5 CURRENT BUILD <br /><br />My home page MY PAGE <br />2WD fourm I frequent<br />NEW Trekker forum

Re: hi - clearance 4Runner 84-89 build - toyotafiberglass

Sweeeet! I assume the "used to look like" pic is from quite awhile ago, that was a clean lookin' runner
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

yep .. this is it .. summer before it came to our shop, Owner bought it NEW and has looked after it .

He now has installed rear lift , and is going to go 3 link on the front w/ 36" tires ..

ok .. so in the shop and the tear down begins ..

New ARB bumper installed , so I can "trim" the excess for the front hi clearance fenders ..

Teardown continues

86 4x4 ,&nbsp; fiberglass bed &nbsp; , 1/2 doors , hood ... more to come . <br />84 2WD &quot;hotrod&quot; Intercooled 7MGTE <br />83 Trekker SR5 CURRENT BUILD <br /><br />My home page MY PAGE <br />2WD fourm I frequent<br />NEW Trekker forum

so got the other side 1/4r cut off today

and the rear outer wheel tubs

and now except the hood , everything has been removed .. (soon , very soon)

Quote Originally Posted by slacker
    That's where I thought the wheel wells would be cut at - do the 1/4s extend in to glue on at the lip? Or would it be possible to cut the wheel well tub where the metal curves down and bridge the gap with a strip of metal?
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

I will be building a new outer tub to connect/seal everything up .. you'll see

I was able to "test fit" the drivers side today .. + I set the front on just to see what it would look like ..

The truck already has the rear lift in it but not the front .. so the front sits quite a bit lower . the nose is down about 5" .. so you have to remember that !!

also got some work done on the drivers side piller
    pretty rough shape .. previous repair , you can see here the "welds" to fix the holes

all cut off , and a patch is necessary ..

the "new/used" pieces all cleaned up .. and prepped

and fit .. ready to burn some steel

started work on the doors today .. I was skeptical about doing them as the owner requested , as they really didnt look to bad .

started by removing the door panels , handle and lock

then grinding the edge to remove the skin .. when I started to remove this .. I knew it was a good decision to replace .. you can see the rust in the "pinch" of the door skin ..

so .. got everything all cleaned up , what a job .. It has been soaked in RUST CHECK since it began life .. the owner was very stringent on getting this done .. and I must say . I'M SOLD !! I have never seen a cleaner 4Runner of this vintage (up here) with such minimal rust problems ...

anyway .. all clean finally and some POR15 to seal everything up ..

also , got the NEW fiberglass door skins prepped , door handle and lock fitted .. (I will pull these out before paint) and ready to install

Navigator

haha, should just leave the entire truck gel coat white your replacing almost everything as it is
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

*Corey, that Rust Bust (Check) works great. I use that or BoeShield in my panels.

Think of it this way, mine is a S.F. Bay Area vehicle, nowhere near the coast (salt) but I can likely just as easily peek into my quarter trim areas and find exactly that much runt in them purely from moisture/vapors, and mine's only 16years-old!! For that rig to be that clean is a reason in and of itself for me to tell you to start stocking the stuff and using it as an add-on sale or preventative measure. It's almost as good as the wax they used in Japan to spray my frame.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast