Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: hi - clearance 4Runner 84-89 build - toyotafiberglass

Re: hi - clearance 4Runner 84-89 build - toyotafiberglass

*Side note on top of the comment I just made..

On the bottom of the doors, where the rubber door stop button goes in the panel, 45 degrees up from the bottom corner, just below the 1" inspection hole, check these, lately I've noticed a ton of 1st-gen and 2nd-Gens where they've started to develop a crack that radiates out and up towards the opening in the panel. It's almost always easy to spot on the driver's doors b/c they see the most use, but can also be caught on the passenger side too. Cut a small v-slice into them with a dremel wheel and drill a 1/32" hole in the end of it and tig it up. Only slightly scuff the weld down, actually if you do it good enough the weld will settle into the v cut. This way it's still gonna be a strong fix.

Give me a few to get a pic for ya if you need better info.

norcal .. it's not a crack .. it's a "factory splice" where the stamped portion of the door meets the added portion ..
    if we're talkin' the same spot?? I have done a few doors in my time , and they are ALWAYS filled with seam sealer . never seen a "crack" on any door I have done

86 4x4 ,&nbsp; fiberglass bed &nbsp; , 1/2 doors , hood ... more to come . <br />84 2WD &quot;hotrod&quot; Intercooled 7MGTE <br />83 Trekker SR5 CURRENT BUILD <br /><br />My home page MY PAGE <br />2WD fourm I frequent<br />NEW Trekker forum

Got the drivers side A piller welded up today ..

and got to work on the passenger side
    It had been repaired before .. (notice the "bondo turds" )

and now the passenger side is almost done ..

did an "extra" undercoat on the doors .. over the POR15 .. just for added securety against rust .

also got the door skins epoxied on in time to cure for the weekend .. should be good to go for monday

86 4x4 ,&nbsp; fiberglass bed &nbsp; , 1/2 doors , hood ... more to come . <br />84 2WD &quot;hotrod&quot; Intercooled 7MGTE <br />83 Trekker SR5 CURRENT BUILD <br /><br />My home page MY PAGE <br />2WD fourm I frequent<br />NEW Trekker forum

worked on the inner wheel tub

cut some pieces out from some cardboard templated I made

trimmed the inner skeleton , and welded

welded the pieces into place

and we have a new tub

Nice, that looks a lot easier than I was thinking it was gonna be - is the fill piece for the tub going to be included with the rear 1/4s. If not, it doesn't look hard to fabricate anyway
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

no .. way to many variables ..

if it was mine , I would have cut out the inners as well and made a whole new wheel tub + I'd be running 40's . I'm just doin' what the customer wants /can afford

got the passenger side wheel well all welded up , and both sides seam sealed

installed the door strikers

and "fit" the doors

and a "long" shot ......

Lookin' good. How did you attach the tub to the rear 1/4 - did you just stick the sheet metal into the crease where the flare wraps in and use some glue?
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

body side , it's welded .. fiberglass side it's epoxied ..

got the 1/4r "glue" area taped off today .. and everything "wiped" down

some epoxy primer on the windshield opening , and 1/4rs ..

we're ready to make the 1/4rs perminant

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast