Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CA Knife Laws

CA Knife Laws

Does anyone know anything about the CA knife carry laws? Specifically, I'm interested in knifes in a sheath worn on a belt. What's legal/what isn't? I'm fairly certain what they are for pocket knifes, but feel free to post anything about that too.

I used to wear a sheathed knife whenever camping but haven't really done that since having a good EDC pocket knife. I never really cared or worried about it while camping or out in the wilderness, but I'm interested to see what the laws are concerning haveing them just around town.
    My signature

Re: CA Knife Laws

According to my "Travelers gun and knife law book", published in 2010, open carry of fixed blades are legal, but concealed carry is not. There is no length limit, except for automatics and balisongs. Carry of knives onto school grounds is generally prohibited, unless you have a concealed carry permit.

However, blade length is limited in some local areas like LA county, LA, oakland, and SF. In those areas, the limit is 3 inches. They also have more restrictions for things like automatics.

Blade length is also limited in certain buildings like state or local public buildings or public meetings. The limit in these areas is 4 inches. penal code 171b (2009)
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Thanks Steve, that's pretty much what I was finding. I just wanted to double check.
    My signature

Cool, Steve replied with what I basically was gonna say, although I thought the length was supposed to be more like 4" out here?? Crap, so much for my edc..I also remember there being something at some point about the mil-spec fixies..single face only above a certain length or something to that effect, no Rambo schizz. I can't even carry at work now, even with a permit, corporate policy. Have to go get me one of those box-cutter deals like Corax has.

So, if I'm wearing a fixed blade on my belt and my coat or shirt hangs down over it, is that considered concealed? Or do I basically have to tuck my shirt/coat up and over the knife handle so that it's fully out in the open?
    My signature

Tuck it in, trust me, I almost lost my benchmade in that type of situation b/c I was off-shift and had my shop shirt untucked.

IMHO ultimately if you're doing something stupid (like I had happen) you're asking to be hassled. In my case I was open and honest with the officers and EMT's so all they did was "..temporarily assume custody of it..". Know what I mean here? Plenty of people carry bali's and auto's without even a hint of a permit or whatever and you'd never know it unless they were being searched, just like a small handgun in a belt in downtown Oakland or Richmond these days.

I don't forsee you carrying around what stuff you posted in the blade thread in a major urban area in hidden fashion or (hopefully) not walking into someplace and going all P.T.S.D.-Wig-Out on folks. Just exercise good/diligent judgement and you should be fine.

BTW, why you asking about this anyhow? Get yourself an office gig?? (You mentioned you and fam are moving soon in another post.)

Quote Originally Posted by slosurfer
    So, if I'm wearing a fixed blade on my belt and my coat or shirt hangs down over it, is that considered concealed? Or do I basically have to tuck my shirt/coat up and over the knife handle so that it's fully out in the open?
    In the firearms world, a police officer would likely consider it concealed, but it is somewhat open to interpretation. You don't want to be the test case, so I would advise to not even risk it.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4
    In the firearms world, a police officer would likely consider it concealed, but it is somewhat open to interpretation. You don't want to be the test case, so I would advise to not even risk it.
    That's about what I figured and why I asked. I found my cheap old fixed blade from when I was a kid and strapped it on while cleaning the garage. I discovered that even my tshirt was pretty much covering up the whole knife, which got me thinking about the laws and such.

It also got me thinking that I'd like to get a good fixed blade for wearing more. All my fixed blades I have now wouldn't work well for that. (too bulky and needs either 2 hands or a leg strap to get the knife out 1 handed)

My signature

I'm thinking of just going old school (and back to my roots) and getting a KA-BAR fighting knife, and then again, this Gerber Epic Knife really intrigues me. I like its price and its versatility. I like that it has a bottle opener and I like that the clip can be switched and that I could remove the whole thing easily from my belt without undoing my belt.... So, if I go to pick up Jack from school it will be easy to unclip from my belt while I'm still in the 4runner. I do like the Ka-Bar though...
    My signature

Theres much better stuff than the ka-bar out there. Gerber LMF series is my pick, rugged, HD and great steel.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast