Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Concrete driveway maintenance/light repair

Re: Concrete driveway maintenance/light repair

Quote Originally Posted by fenrisx
    Can he tile my 4Runner? I think my 4Runner would look good in a nice porcelain tile.
    Purple monkey dishwasher? Things went south quick..

A tile driveway would be sweet, but probably out of my price range. And I enforce a strict no fly zone over my house, so probably not that either, although it is interesting to think about all of the toxic stuff that does come from aircraft.

The driveway is 13 years old and pretty clean, so it's either a material failure or a previous owner's car leaked fuel, brake fluid, or something else that ate away part of the driveway.

Thanks for any advise you think of...

Navigator

one of my grandparents' neighbors has a tile driveway.. also has a blue tile roof
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

If it's all contained in a small area I imagine someone spilled something on the concrete and it ate through. Kind of hard to imagine though, especially if there aren't any stains. Is it an area where water can pool at all? If so something like fertilizer, gas, etc might have gotten to it.

If the area were bigger I'd say the driveway wasn't installed correctly. Concrete is water, sand and gravel (for the most part). There are a ton of different additives that are put in the mix for different reasons and that may have something to do with it. If the mix was fine the install and finish work may be the culprit. Your driveway is smooth and the finish is consistent, for the most part. The gravel portion of the mix is supposed to settle or be pushed down during the installation. This is done with troweling and brushing and if the mix is correct it will settle andyou'll be left with a smooth surface. If it wasn't finished correctly the gravel will be at or just below the surface. As the concrete gets wet water soaks into the surface and around the gravel. In a freeze-thaw process this could "pop" (or weaken the surface) the gravel out and cause your problem. Excess water in the surface could also cause low level pot holes just like in a surface street or the water just gets to the gravel and works itself out. Look at your neighbors driveways and see if they have the same thing. If so it's an installation or mix thing and not a spilled acid kind of thing. I'd fix your junk and then look into some kind of sealer.
    If the damage is where we dropped the giant jar of garlic during your move, there is your answer. If that is the case we'll fix it. You supply the beer, we'll supply the fire and JB weld.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12