Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first mods

first mods

I have a completely stock 2002 4runner sport what should my first mods be?

Re: first mods

That depends on what you want to do with it. My suggestion is to cut off all the suspension and put a solid axle under it, but that's probably not where you want to take things.

Do you want to keep it a daily driver? If the mods you want to do are for looks only, do you want to do things just for street looks or for off road looks? If you want to actually take it off road, then what kind of trails, mild, medium or hardcore? Do you need to tow anything? Is it 4wd or 2wd?

Let us know what you want to do with your truck.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Navigator

we cant give you any suggestions if you don't tell us what you are into, and what you plan to do with this truck.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Your first and best mod should be a good set of all-weather floor mats. Protect your investment!
    2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4-Dub<br />TRD supercharger,&nbsp; Toytec Coilovers, OME 890&#39;s, 285 Duratracs

my 4runner is gonna continue to be my dd.. it is 4wd i wanna make it look good but i also dont wanna get to much show and not enough go.. i want looks but wanna be able to keep up with my brother inlaw in his colorado. wanna start small and get bigger and bigger. i am planning on pulling a camper with it we are currently looking for a popup or pull behind.

If you don't plan on off-roading, I vote for keeping the tires the same size. Larger tires will sap your power, and you need all you can get if you are pulling a trailer. If you do get larger tires, you could re-gear the diffs, but all that adds up quick.

Then there is always the supercharger option as well.

All depends on how much money you are willing to spend.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

sounds like your gonna have alot of fun! take the running boards off if you havnt already. otherwise they get bent really easy.

how would a 3 inch lift in the front and 1.5 in the back look

in my honest opinion, ridiculous. i never liked that "prerunner" stance.

first off, a primer on lifts for our 3rd gens. there are 3 basic heights for the 3rd generation. 96, 97, and half of 98 are all generally the same height. late 98 and 99 are about an inch taller than the previous. from 00 to 02, they are approximately an inch lower than the first lot. lift numbers are typically listed for 99's. so how much lift you actually get from a kit will vary on your year. you are an 02, so basically you will get the most "lift" over stock, but all will be comparable to eachother once lifted. so a 3 inch lift on a 99 will be the same height as a 3 inch lift on a 02, the 02 just started out lower.

that being said, 3 inches in front is asking an awful lot from the cv's. typically max is around 2.5".

i would strongly advise against spacers if you are looking for performance over looks and cost savings. stay away from companies like fabtech, procomp, etc. they usually focus much more on fords, chevys, and jeeps. stay with someone who specializes in toyotas.

here are two companies that make excellent products for our vehicles:
    http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...=126&Itemid=72
    and
    http://www.sonoransteel.com/index.ph...ndex&cPath=1_2

there are many more, maybe someone else will chime in with those companies that actually cater to 3rd gens.

i have no direct experience with the toytec lifts, but i always hear good things.

i have the equivalent of the sonoran steel 1.2 alternate lift. i love it. the front springs are a bit stiff. it is fine if you plan on adding a heavy front bumper, but i would stay away if you plan on never doing this.

system 7.2 is highly regarded. there are numerous people on these forums that run that kit. i suggest doing a search (either using the search box above, or browsing manually through this particular sub forum) for more information about these kits.

most of the sonoran steel kits can be purchased separately for less money. there are a few items that Steve will not sell separate. its up to you. i chose to purchase from him because it was easier, and he has provided me with some tech support in the past.

its a big investment, so choose wisely, and do it right the first time. plan ahead with your truck. you should have vaguely an idea of what you want to do to it, and what you want it to do. i originally set mine up for the rocks, but found it works equally well on the desert floor too.

hope that helps, and can shed some light on the different kits out there. read up on both web sites i posted above. sonoran steel has some pretty good tech and explanations, and most of it is pretty correct, some of it is not. the tundra springs are meant for a vehicle with a higher GVWR, and therefore are stiffer than 4runner springs, no matter what he says about the subject...
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

What about the daystar 2.5 leveling kit.. I dont have money to go real big right now just wanna get it a lil higher than it is right now. dont have plans on rock crawling or anything maybe a occasional mud hole..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast