Thread: Need some help removing a virus

Need some help removing a virus

I hate these things.

So, my other computer has the "XP Internet Security 2011 virus". I can't seem to get rid of it and could use some help.

A few months ago, my dad's pc had a very similar virus, and I was able to remove it using the following steps:

On a second non-infected computer, I did the following:
    -Download Malwarwebytes Anti-Malware software to computer.
    -Rename file.
    -Burn to CD.

On infected computer:
    -Boot in safe mode.
    -Insert and run CD

This worked perfectly and cleaned out the computer.

So, now on my newly infected computer, this method does not work. It seems that even safe-mode is infected. Neither of my CD drives will open what's on the CD. The drives are recognized, as is the CD, but I can't seem to run the CD.

The virus is listed as ida.exe in the task manager. If I end the task, it re-appears once I try to run the CD.

Anyways, help please!
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Re: Need some help removing a virus

Why not just back up all your stuff and nuke the hard drive?
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

That's a lot of hassle and I'm trying to avoid that. Most of the important stuff was last backed up a couple months ago, so I wouldn't lose a whole lot. I would hate to re-install all the programs.

I did just get the scan to work, so we'll see what happens next.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Well, the scan didn't do anything. Caught some adware, but that's about it.

Navigator

XP is a pain in the ass to clean up.. i personally use MSE to protect my computer, but i dont know how effective it is to clean an already infected computer. if you cant get anything to run correctly, the virus probably infected the registry (which isnt well protected in XP). if nothing else works, u could hook up the hdd from the infected comp as a 2nd drive to a well protected second computer and run a scan from there. It will find and delete files, but its hit and miss whether it can find registry errors.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock