Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to find Ham repeters when planing a trip

Ok, over 2 years old, but I think it is worth a post.

www.repeaterbook.com, you can export their info for a number of devices, but more importantly, you can export as a .gpx file.

To do this, click the big map on the front page, then select your state. From there, select your band (2m, 70cm, etc) and then the list it generates can be exported as a .gpx file. Load it up in google earth and it gives you the location of each repeater.

This should help in the planning process. You can also load repeaterbook on your smart phone. It stores all the info on the device, so you don't need service to access it. It will give you the closest repeaters based on your location (if your device is location aware). Now, closest isn't always best, but it is a start.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I too use repeaterbook on the computer and my phone.

The repeater books I have now I've made from exporting the repeaterbook data. I send them to excel where I sort by frequency and then another tab by county. If you pre plan certain areas I suggest using the memory banks in your radio as it's easier to organize all the frequencies and not have similar ones over lap and or prohibit effective scanning which can be troublesome especially in an emergency.

You can have banks for different regions and include 2m and 70cm frequencies that work in each region. I've done this and include the Nation Simplex channel as well as a couple other 2m and 70cm simplex channels along with crossband frequencies in each bank so I'm not fiddling around too much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12