Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you all like to see some bike-tech stuff?

Re: Would you all like to see some bike-tech stuff?

I tried one of these out this weekend:

Crank Brothers Adjustable Seat Post:
    http://www.crankbrothers.com/seatposts.php

Super handy for a quick transistion from climbing to bombing downhill, but worth $200? The adjustment lever mounts on the handlebars, which makes things a little clustered. There's a seat-mounted lever(similar to an office chair) that seems more attractive though.
    2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4-Dub<br />TRD supercharger,&nbsp; Toytec Coilovers, OME 890&#39;s, 285 Duratracs

Those have their place but not on my bike. I'd rather spend the money on gas to get to the trail and beers afterwards.

I was interested in a model back in the late 90's. It was the only one on the market and it hinged forward out of the way. You had you ride height and then out of the way model. IIRC it was uber expensive, anodized and was nicknamed "slice'o-matic."

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    Those have their place but not on my bike. I'd rather spend the money on BEER and BEER to get to the trail and BEERS afterwards. There's a ton of little 7-11's along the way up the hill and it makes for a fun day out riding avoiding the use of our 4Runner.
    Fixed.

:P S(p)ussy posts aren't all that. Be forewarned about investing in those suspension posts for a while more, I've yet to see any single one that could make it through a usable season without needing a prompt rebuild. A couple of friends are going on 3 rebuilds each and two old customers are on seconds only b/c they didn't wait and used the warranty process.

It isn't just Crank Bro's exclusively. I think it comes down to it being a more stressed contact point based on immediate rider force/weight impact over a given area and zone (vector dynamics vs. hysterisis) versus what a suspension sees (broader vector area inc. driven force angles and dissipation). Been waiting for some feedback from Darren@ Push before I can clearly state my theory.

Spend the money like Mike does or get yourself a decent Thomson Seatpost and Salsa Q/R Seat Clamp like I did and you're set for years. Besides, there's always an excuse then for a "safety break" when you have to stop to adjust the post, if you're the type that needs that excuse to stop. Me, I have two wear marks, climbing spot and O.F.O.S. Spot.

Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBorn
    climbing spot and O.F.O.S. Spot.

i have those two spots too
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    IIRC it was uber expensive, anodized and was nicknamed "slice'o-matic."
    haha, the last thing I want in between my legs is a slice o-matic
    2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4-Dub<br />TRD supercharger,&nbsp; Toytec Coilovers, OME 890&#39;s, 285 Duratracs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12