Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 100k mile maint. question

Re: 100k mile maint. question

i will need brakes later on this year also and will do the brake flush when the brakes get done..

as far as the bushings go, how do you know when they go bad?? i need to watch the cost on everything thanks to teacher's pay.... damn state lol
    2002 Tacoma 4x4 3.4 v6 4-Door <br />96k miles and counting!

the sway bar and steering rack busings are cheap - less than $20 total for the nice poly ones. it will tighten up the steering considerably since OEM bushings are rubber. the poly steering rack bushings are a HUGE improvement in steering response and crispness.
    -andy

To tell if the bushings are bad, jack the front end of the truck up until the wheels are off the ground and turn the steering wheel from side to side. If you see your steering rack move at all you should replace them with something like the Energy Suspension ones.

Changing the bushings is a very simple and straightforward procedure. All you need is a large enough C-clamp and the right sockets and you can knock it out in under 30 minutes.
    [glow=blue,2,300]2002 4WD TOYOTA TACOMA &quot;TURTLE TACO&quot;[/glow]&nbsp; &lt;All the goods listed here&gt;

Quote Originally Posted by Tanto
    To tell if the bushings are bad, jack the front end of the truck up until the wheels are off the ground and turn the steering wheel from side to side. If you see your steering rack move at all you should replace them with something like the Energy Suspension ones.

Changing the bushings is a very simple and straightforward procedure. All you need is a large enough C-clamp and the right sockets and you can knock it out in under 30 minutes.
    i am assuming you have to jack up the front end and do not put it on floor jacks?? also what do you need the c clamp for?? never done it so i am curious

Quote Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
    i am assuming you have to jack up the front end and do not put it on floor jacks?? also what do you need the c clamp for?? never done it so i am curious
    Here are 2 good writeups for it:
    http://www.keystonekrawlers.com/Mods...eeringBush.htm
    http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacomamo...ckbushings.htm (shows how to use the clamp)

I actually prefer to do it by threading the bolt the reverse direction instead of using a clamp. If you get to the point of actually doing it I'll show you what I mean in a picture.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

ok good deal MTL.. when i change the oil this weekend ill check out the bushings.. i have 86k miles on the tacoma so i figured it will be sooner or later before they need to be changed out

Yeah, Jamie pretty much summed it up right there. The factory bushings are vulcanized into the surrounding metal so getting them out is a major deal unless you use the clamp.

Vulcanized, meaning that the rubber bushing it heated until it melts and sticks to the metal.
    [glow=blue,2,300]2002 4WD TOYOTA TACOMA &quot;TURTLE TACO&quot;[/glow]&nbsp; &lt;All the goods listed here&gt;

I just did my rack bushings (130k) and even though I did not have as much movement in the rack as others, it made a tremendous difference. I am pretty mechanically inclined and it took me a few hours - 3ish. Most time consuming part was getting the old bushings out and that damn middle bolt. I wish someone told me to make sure i have a 19mm ratcheting wrench on hand! Other issue was I did not have it up high enough to be able to swing my torque wrench when complete - just made it a PIA.
    99 4Runner SR5 - Desert Dune<br />Bri-Mar 5x8 trailer, Toyo OC AT 265.75.16, PP Springs and Bilsteins, AirRaid MIT and Deckplate, Aftermarket HU w/ Sirius built-in

hmmm so at what mileage would one really want to look at changing them mainly for comfort other than just knowing that they are worn out??

It's not really a mileage thing, you need to get under the vehicle, have someone turn the steering wheel side to side quickly and look to see if the entire rack is moving with respect to the bushings (tierods should move but the rack itself should be stationary). If it is visibly moving, then they need to be changed.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast