Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pismo Dunes under attack, need to MAIL letter asap

Pismo Dunes under attack, need to MAIL letter asap

http://www.cal4wheel.com/

No email on this one, gotta print and mail the letter in the cal4wheel link. The letter needs to go to Virginia so do it quick.

May 13th, 2011

By U.S. Mail

Public Comments Processing,
    Attn: FWS-R8-ES-2010-0070
    Division of Policy and Directives Management
    U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
    4401 N. Fairfax Drive, Suite 222
    Arlington, VA 22203

Re: Opposition to Inclusion of Oceano Dunes SVRA in the Critical Habitat Designation for the Western Snowy Plover
    Dear Fish and Wildlife Service:
    I am a frequent visitor to Oceano Dunes SVRA in Pismo Beach, California, where I enjoy one of the most unique off-roading experiences in the world.
    I have just learned that the Fish and Wildlife Service is proposing to declare a significant part of Oceano Dunes to be “critical” habitat for the western snowy plover.
    I am confused by this proposal since I know that in 2005 the Service specifically excluded Oceano Dunes from plover critical habitat because of the severe impacts such a regulation would have on the local and regional economy in San Luis Obispo County.
    Miles of riding area have already been off-limits to off-road recreation even though this is not critical habitat. The plover seems to be thriving with all of the conservation measures that State Parks currently has in place. I understand that State Parks is planning even more. In light of all this, what additional benefit can adding the critical habitat regulation have? It seems like it will just be used by extremists to try to shut down the park to off-road recreation.
    I OPPOSE designating Oceano Dunes SVRA as plover critical habitat. It should remain excluded for economic reasons as it has been for the past six years without harm to the plover.

Sincerely,

Signed:
    Date:
    Address:
    City, State, Zip:
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Re: Pismo Dunes under attack, need to MAIL letter asap

..I want to do it, but I'd feel like an environmental hypocrite! Ha. I'm wondering why it has to go to Virginia?
    [b] -Bekah <br />.=. It&#39;s not the fall that hurts, it&#39;s that stop at the end .=.

Navigator

Quote Originally Posted by some_odd_girl
    I'm wondering why it has to go to Virginia?
    Arlington VA is where the main office for US Fish and Wildlife.. my printer doesnt work or i would
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Done. Happily.

Bekah,
    Out of curiosity, why would you feel like an enviromental hypocrite?

This is the fine line we walk in our sport.
    I, for one, am not one of these hilljack rednecks out to tear up everything with the attitude "its just land, and its ours, lets do whatever we want". I feel it is our responsibilty, really more so than anyone else's, to truly and deeply consider our impact on the enviroment and try to find a happy medium.
    Don't be afraid to do your research. DOES the existing habitat and protection plan for this species appear to be sufficient for what is needed? If so, why add more? I know that there is the thought process "If a little is good, a lot is better", but thats simply not always true.
    Also, you have to consider at what cost? What precedents are we willing to let them set? If the habitat already set aside for a species is sufficent and more is proposed just for the sake of being more, then where does it stop? Would it be better for the enviroment if we just stopped what we love altogether, and let it return to wilderness? Probably.
    Thats why we have to strive, proactively, to have a POSITIVE impact on our enviroment by sticking to the policies in place for habitat protection, by following the Tread Lightly principles, and helping out where we can. Hosting clean up days, and just so far as to pick up a coke can, or a cig butt on the trail if you see it. I keep a garbage bag in the back of my rig when out on the trail for just this purpose.
    You CAN find that happy medium between being a wheeler and an avid environmentalist. I feel that being one makes me better at the other.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I pretty much feel what you said. But I'm an enviro sci major. So pretty much I feel like sending a letter would go against that. I agree though, there needs to be a balance.
    [b] -Bekah <br />.=. It&#39;s not the fall that hurts, it&#39;s that stop at the end .=.

I don't understand how sending a letter would go against what you're studying. With a degree like that you should make your own informed decision and act in the manner you feel is appropriate. Don't let others, or a degree, try to make up your mind for you.

I guess if you could better explain how you sending a letter goes against your major I could understand better.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Yeah I can't because schools out and now my brain isn't functioning that way :P I suppose basically I feel like an 'environmentalist' should automatically side with the birds. But I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by some_odd_girl
    Yeah I can't because schools out and now my brain isn't functioning that way :P I suppose basically I feel like an 'environmentalist' should automatically side with the birds. But I don't.
    You need to ask yourself how you feel about it. Being an "environmentalist" doesn't mean that you should automatically do this or that. I don't mean to single you out, but it's a dangerous mentality to feel that you should automatically take "sides" because of a "label". You are your own person with your own brain, and you should use it. If you honestly feel that the area should be closed down because of what you know as facts, then there is nothing wrong with that, but I encourage you to understand the issue before taking sides, one way or another. Think critically about it. Look at the long term impacts on closing down the area vs keeping it open, then make your decision. Intellectual honesty, from what I've seen over the last few years, has started to take a back seat. Be it republicans, democrats, environmentalists, et al. are all simply 'taking sides' without ever understanding the issue because "that's why my side believes". The danger in this is that your "side" can lead you down a path that you can later regret. Individuality and critical thinking in our own lives is so very very important and I can't encourage it enough!

I consider myself an environmentalist, I LOVE being outdoors, I hunt, fish, hike, and camp. I respect the land I use, I want to be able to use it, and I want see future generations be able to use it. If there are environmentally sensitive areas, then perhaps some should be shut down to keep them as they are. However, politics are so often involved with the likes of environmental extremists that want to see no roads or fun to be had, so it is important to look at these issues one at a time.

I apologize for the long rant and I don't mean to single you out. I've had to deal with this issue a decent amount recently and I feel it's time I stop sitting by the side lines not saying anything.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

*Done, and agreed on the disparity between ethics and recreational pursuits.

Bekah..We as a user group (Yeah, I know I can say "I/Me" also here b/c of the trail work days, etc-etc) do far more than the average person IMHO when it comes to personal accountability offroad. *Excluding certain use-groups/individuals who feel it's ok to crap all over and not bury it while dropping beer cans wherever they may land.

I was looking into Environmental Engineering where one has to draw lines between personal pursuits, environmental responsibility, and what will keep your a$$ employed and not a liability to a firm and I came to this conclusion..

If it would cost me a job that when I interview at the next one it would be agreed the people/person I worked for is/was an asshat I'd go ahead and do what is best for, in this order..

My family, daughter and wife..

Myself..

MY JOB.

Something this simple honestly is not going to sway the life of a Plover, what will is the incessant need to use printed forms to send these requests because some nimby-tree-hugger-elitist-affluent-jackhole pushed their way onto a issue and want's everyone banned b/c of the aforementioned use-groups/individuals who feel it's ok to crap all over and not bury it while dropping beer cans wherever they may land.

That sounds like a rant, but to me it's a creedo. Find your own lines to walk or cross and your own creedo to follow. Don't be afraid to have to re-evaluate that a bunch of times too..it's part of growing up.

*Don't even get me started on the b.s. going on right now with Ford Ord..that's more b.s. than this push to close off access..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast