Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Drive Woes

Hard Drive Woes

I don't get it, I just can't seem to get my luck right with hard drives.
    All I know is Wester Digital GreenPower hard drives are complete poop and the minute I get everything I need off of it, that one and another failed one I have are going in a fire!

I need to know what everyone here recommends when it comes to a hard drive.
    I have had 2 western digital's and a few maxtor's fail on me.

What does everyone recommend?
    I am in a quick turn around for this.
    I am getting what I can off the hard drive to the main drive, but thats not a lot since the main drive is small, but I need something at least 1TB, thinking external through USB.

Any suggestions?

Re: Hard Drive Woes

seagate, the ones with the 5 year warranties, have always given me very good performance. a bit more than their 3 year warranty OEM counterparts, but worth it for the extra 2 years.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Thanks for the tip Sean.

I am on Newegg looking at some hard drives now.

The HD went out on my last computer, and I replaced it with a Seagate. It lasted until I replaced the entire computer a few years later. I'm sure it still works too. I have no complaints with my Seagate.

If I build my next PC, I want to do a solid state drive for the OS and a hard disk drive for everything else.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Seagate and maxtor are the same thing, both are owned by one or the other I forget.

I have had every brand of drive fail on me Avy, doesnt matter which one you pick as they all have equally crappy usage lives. For the heck of it tho I prefer maxtor, seems they take longer to crap out on me.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

none of the 10k rpm HDD's would last long. stick with 7200rpm.

Hitachi is the worst, they are the IBM glass drives, never been good.

Seagate bought Maxtor years back, it was better before that.

I have good lucks with WD.
    94 4Runner, SR5 3.0V6, 4WD, 5spd: SOLD<br />99 4Runner, SR5, 3.4L 4WD, 5spd.&nbsp;&nbsp; full SS 1.2 lift, RedLine Fluids, Marline Shifter seat, BruceTS rear bumper, roof busket, Marlin 1200 Clutch, hitch mount tire carrier, Tundra brakes, Brembo rotors.&nbsp; Stubb&#039;s sliders, Lightforce 240, ARB Taco bar, BruceTS rear bumper, stainless steel skid plate.&nbsp; ScanGaugeII, Hankook AT 265/75 LC80 wheels.<br />04 4Runner, V6 SR5 4WD, 3rd Gen. LTD wheels, BFG AT 265/75, FJC coils and silver Bilstein shocks, Scion H/U.

i had a seagate notebook harddrive in my car pc for nearly 4 years. it saw a tremendous amount of abuse. after i dismantled my carpc, i stuck it in an old laptop as a replacement. its still chugging along, playing videos on a tv. its probably 6 or 7 years old at this point.

i have had all brands fail on me, IBM, Hitachi, WD, Maxtor, Seagate, Samsung, and one other im forgetting... Fujitsu maybe? either way, they all have a set MTBF, and that mean time is exactly that, an average. some will last for 10 years, others 10 months. i suggest seagate because they have been the more reliable for me, as well as packing a decent warranty on most of their products.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Just to toss my 2 cents into the pot here Avy, I have always preferred WD. I've had good use out of them, and never had one fail on me that I didn't think had lived a satisfactory lifespan.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

yeah i'm surprised to see you've had a bad run with WD...

I use WD and Seagate exclusively... We bought 8 WD caviar black drives for our raid backup here at work with good results so far...

I use 2 seagate drives for my backup at home too, no problems in over 6 years for one, 2 years for the other.
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i

Thanks for the input Gentleman,
    Still slowly working everything over, got all my pictures, now to get my off-road video's and I should be good.

I did some research on the GreenPower version of the WD hard drives.
    It seems I am not the only one to experience the issues.
    Apparently I read somewhere that the Read/Write heads are run on energy saving mode if there hasn't been an activity for about eight seconds.

So with this being a secondary hard drive that doesn't get accessed much but you would think that would work, but I guess if certain programs like iTunes accesses that drive for my music only when it needs to, it might be sleeping and waking way to much for it to handle?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast