Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard Drive Woes

Re: Hard Drive Woes

Whats everyone's opinion on this?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148579

Navigator

im gonna agree with pretty much everything said here.. i have had every major brand fail.. but harddrives are a good example of what u pay is what u get.. buy a more expensive hard drive and they tend to last better.. my 2 favorite brands are Seagate and WD, but thats just cuz those are what i have had, and Seagate is (at least a chapter of it) a local to me company
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

So I am bringing this thread alive and a few others.
    I have come to the conclusion any moving parts hard drive is inevitably going to come to a failure point.
    It has moving parts like most anything with moving parts a failure is bound to happen.

SO I am thinking of going with a solid state harddrive in my next pc, my back up will still be a standard hard drive but I figured I will have a few back ups lying around till the price of the bigger Solid States gets lower and the technology more concrete (hearing that there have been firmware issues with the solid state drives)

solid state will fail as well. the studies they have done so far show reliability is about the same from ssd to hdd

last month i lost my hdd to the clicks of death. i lost EVERYTHING ive collected from the last 5 or more years. no backup. whoops.

now i have a backup...

2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Navigator

SSD only gains you more speed (which is a huge amount actually), not more reliability at this point. Basically a SSD uses similar technology to memory, and memory is one of the most common pieces of a computer to fail. Basically just always keep a backup, because any hard drive can fail
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

For what its worth I've had good louck with Samsung hard drives, and they are well rated on Newegg. Tjey have good warranties and "server class" models if you're so inclined. If you're worried about losing data (I am too), set up a RAID array, either do RAID 1 (mirrored) at a bare minimum, or RAID 5 if you're feeling feisty. That way even if you lose a drive, your data is GTG.

FWIW, many NAS boxes support Raid too. A USB hard drive you linked is USB 2.0, so it will be slow. You want either USB 3.0 or SATA.
    Brian
    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4
    Supercharged, URD'd, Lifted, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodTimes
    I for one will say that I am the superb ultimate cream of the crop web wheeler and will not take anything less than that as my moniker.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12