Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kayaks and fishing

Kayaks and fishing

Who here has done it?

I had a kayak back in MT and sold it shortly after moving back to WA:

[img width=532 height=800]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/oly884/Photography/_DSC9187.jpg[/img]

I had it set up for a fishing rod holder and did some awesome trout fishing in it. Definitely had a good time with it. For the record it was a Prijon Combi 359:

The only complaint was that because it was designed for both white water and lakes, it sacrificed a bit when it came to paddling straight on the lake. It was some effort to get it to track straight and when I came out here, and took it out on the sound, I decided that it was just not the right thing for around here.

Anyways, fast forward to a few weekends ago. I got the chance to ride some nice 15' sea kayaks out in the sound. Damn, they were nice! Went on a 5 mile trip in no time, it was quiet, relaxing, just a really cool time. Anyways I ended up finding one of these for sale on craigslist:

http://www.malibukayaks.com/kayak_extreme.asp

After reading a bit about it, I decided to bite and hopefully on Saturday I'll be heading out to get it. It's all set up for fishing including 2-12 volt batteries to power both an illuminated compass and a fish finder. I figure that it'll be a pretty sweet setup for getting out and doing some awesome fishing as well as camping or just paddling. I'll definitely have to post up some pics when I get it.

Anyways, anyone else kayak, be it fishing, paddling, exploring, etc?
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Re: Kayaks and fishing

Man I haven't kayaked in a while, now I want to go again! Even thought I'm not very good at it.
    [b] -Bekah <br />.=. It&#39;s not the fall that hurts, it&#39;s that stop at the end .=.

Haven't had a chance to in a lonnggg time, and then it was just paddling around/exploring in the Florida Keys. I'm hoping to try some mild whitewater or just river exploration this summer. The PNW definitely seems like a good place to get your paddle on
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Been trying to find a canoe or open top kayak for river and lake around here, all flat water paddling, so I don't need any whitewater stuff. Can't find anything that fits what I really want fore the money I want to spend right now, so I'll just keep looking.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

There are a lot of trade offs when selecting a kayak. If you want a fishing one get a fishing one but it's only going to be really good for fishing. Most of my fishing is fly fishing and it sucks in a kayak. Float tubes are much better but you can't cover long distances very quick. I know a guy here in norcal that specializes in kayak fishing and has made quite the business for himself.
    I can't seem to find his website but this is his blog.

http://greatwhitekayakcompany.blogspot.com/

Yep, there are constant tradeoffs with each type of kayak. I obviously wanted something best suited for fishing and exploring. If I end up scoring this kayak, I'd say I lucked out quite well.

I had a float tube but found out it was far more of a PITA for me that I thought it would have been. They are awesome for small lakes, but around here so many of them are filled with boats that I found it to be too much work for the reward.
    Gone but not forgotten: 2004 Tacoma/2006 Fourwheel Camper<br /><br />ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<br /><br />&quot;Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.&quot;<br />- Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

Sounds like a fun fishing rig
    2001 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4-Dub<br />TRD supercharger,&nbsp; Toytec Coilovers, OME 890&#39;s, 285 Duratracs

I've been wanting to try kayaking for a few years now, but want to either rent one or go on a tour with one first. It looks like a lot of fun.

Mike, how come fly fishing in a kayak sucks? I've been eying kayaks for that purpose since it seems like a good way to cover more water than in a float tube.

-------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Here she is:

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4
    I've been wanting to try kayaking for a few years now, but want to either rent one or go on a tour with one first. It looks like a lot of fun.

Mike, how come fly fishing in a kayak sucks? I've been eying kayaks for that purpose since it seems like a good way to cover more water than in a float tube.

I've tried in open and closed cockpits. In my experience my line gets tangled on everything. Moving from point to point is great but some boats can be a bit tippy when casting and I never got used to casting with my legs out in front of me. Trying sitting on the ground and cast. I can't get the distance as if I was in a float tube and my form is out the door. Pulling in fish is a bit harder too as I like getting them up on my lap to get the hook out. On an enclosed kayak you have a spray skirt or raised/curved deck to contend with. To each is own. FWIW I love spin casting out of a canoe, reminds me of when I was younger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast