Thread: BFG AT-KO 265/75/16

BFG AT-KO 265/75/16

I noticed a bulge in the tread portion of one of Revo's today so it's time for some new tires. I'm looking at the BFG's but have found they are only available in load range E now where as before there was a D and E choice. From some internet searching it appears all retailers only sell the E and the D's were phased out in the LT tire market.

Toyota120 has a thread on this and the stiffness of the tire for a smaller vehicle like a 4Runner came up. The OP was concerned it would be too stiff and the max weight rating (something like 3500 lbs per tire) is at 80 psi. I wouldn't run them at 80 but what about that stiffness? Are any of you guys running BFG AT's in 265/75/16 load range E? If so were they overly stiff? I guess the thought that running them at lower pressures will create more heat and result in decreased tread life. What are your thoughts on this?

I'm pretty set on this tire as I've owned several sets and I liked them a lot. Not only are they really strong but they last for all the road driving I do.

Navigator

Re: BFG AT-KO 265/75/16

i dont have experience with them, but the load-E ones have 10 ply sidewalls, which is really stiff. i cant imagine that on a low weight vehicle like the 4runner would be able to create enough heat to damage or prematurely wear a load-E tire
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Running an E load range tire at 35 PSI wont overheat the tire. An LT rated tire has to be run at a higher PSI than its P-metric counter part, generally 14 PSI more. Never run a tire at max pressure unless the LOAD necessitates it. I generally run my 285/75R16 D load range tires at 55-60 PSI, simply for gas mileage. Ideally I'd run them around 45 PSI. I'll look to see if those D load range tires are still active from Michelin/BF Goodrich when I go back to work on Sunday or Monday.

I don't see any problem with the Es though. I honestly don't think you'd notice a difference. ya they're a little stiffer, but the Ds are stiff too. The D and E tires have the same weight capacity at the same air pressures... just the E continues past 65 PSI up to 80, and the D stops at 65.

Source: 8 years in tire sales/installation.
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

Thanks for the insight. Today's morning coffee break will be spent looking for somewhere to spend $1000.

Quote Originally Posted by Crinale
    i dont have experience with them, but the load-E ones have 10 ply sidewalls, which is really stiff. i cant imagine that on a low weight vehicle like the 4runner would be able to create enough heat to damage or prematurely wear a load-E tire
    No, they have 10 plys on the treads. Still the same 3 ply sidewall.

My dad recently had the same dilemma, and went ahead and got the extreme weather ones. My brother has the exact same tire, but without the extreme weather. Difference is the siping. More siping on the extreme weather, which is nice.

They just finished a 5 day stint in the maze out in canyon lands, plus the 600 or so highway miles there, and another 600 back. He said he noticed no difference from his old D range, and they were great on the sand stone (though everything is).

Definetely a good choice.
    -I love you.-<br /><br />1987 BigWheel

Thanks.
    I ordered up the E's and they are going on tomorrow. I spoke to several shops this morning and only half realized they don't have a D range anymore. I'm thinking customers aren't doing their homework, ask for the tire and the shop puts them on. The guy I'm working with was really good and said he runs the 35" AT's in E and doesn't notice any difference from the old D's he ran. On his jeep he says he gets the same foot print (D and E) when he airs down as the sidewalls are still 3 ply.

Got the tires and they ride great and look great. The ride feels so much more solid and even seems quieter than the Revo's I took off. The shop spec'd 34 psi for each tire and I'll say they seem really smooth and they look right (sidewall, etc).

Overall I'm really happy with the tires and don't think there are any downsides to the load range E.