Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Driveshaft U-Join Zerk Fitting

Rear Driveshaft U-Join Zerk Fitting

I was lubing the drive shaft, and I can't get that zerk to take grease. The gun fits on there nice and tight, but the grease just comes out around the gun and fitting. Is the little ball probably stuck? I was wondering if I could spray it with some CRC Freeze Off... and then wiping it down again, hoping that would work its way into the ball freeing it up.

Or I figured I'd just take swap out the fitting with one that works from the front driveshaft I already did. I just figure my luck I'd end up stripping the threads, or breaking the other off completely causing more problems!

I'm trying to avoid leaving, having to get gas because I'm below E, and then buying another from the dealer if they have one... kinda brookkkee and won't have any paychecks rolling in until probably last few days of June.

What do you guys think?

Re: Rear Driveshaft U-Join Zerk Fitting

Same thing happens to me and I just have to move the hose around from the gun to get it just right. Mine is never clogged just picky.

Try taking the fitting off and cleaning it out. A seal pick is helpful in pushing down the little ball and cleaning it out. Do this if it is in fact clogged. My local parts store, even the hardware store, carries grease fittings.

What mike said. If it comes down to it, no need to get the zerk from the dealer.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

i had to poke the ball down with a needle to get alot of mine to work. after cycling the ball down with something sharp a few times they worked.

Well, I took a precision screwdriver & was able to press the ball a few times... Then, tried it again with the same luck. Tried moving the hose to find a 'sweet spot' with no luck. I took the fitting off, and the fitting itself was filled with my grease.. so I'm not sure what's goin' on.

I figure I'll just buy two fittings (there was actually another on the front drive shaft doing the same thing) later, and changed them when I change my oil next.

I know this sounds crazy.... but maybe that grease area is all full.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco
    I know this sounds crazy.... but maybe that grease area is all full.
    Not crazy at all.. I just didn't think that grease was going into a sealed area, so I figured the old grease would seep out of cracks like with most of the others on the drive shaft.. which was also my experience when I did preventative maintenance on metal stamping presses.

Regardless, I just figured it hadn't been greased in who knows how long so it probably needed something! I've never paid to have it done, unless the Toyota dealership does it when you get an 'Express Lube' oil change. In which case.. I haven't had them change my oil is probably 30k miles.

Yeah, I wouldn't sweat it to much. Just pick up some new zerks when you get the chance. I haven't greased mine in forever either.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I remove mine after greasing and put in an allen set screw......simply because they get torn off on the trail. That's on the diff end of the shaft, the other one I never have problems with.

As for how much grease to use, only 2 pumps with the gun on the diff end, DON'T pack it full of grease till it starts oozing out, doing so you'll end up with vibration issues and the slip joint hydrolocking.

the replacement zerk fitting has 6mm threads and can easily be found at most auto parts stores
    99 SR5 4Runner Highlander 5spd V6 4WD e-locker<br />Myspace<br />3rd Gen Bumper Build-up<br />1GR-FE 4.0L V-6 &amp; RA60F 6-speed for my project vehicle<br /><br /><br />Don&#039;t Ask when I&#039;m gonna go SAS, I&#039;m not... I&#039;ll build a buggy first!

Thanks for the info Bruce.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast