Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cadillac Brougham parts meet 4Runner

Cadillac Brougham parts meet 4Runner

I have always been a fan of the horns Cadillac used on their Fleetwood Broughams, those 35-foot long barges they made up through the early 1990s. Wanting a piece of the Cadillac action I did some research and quickly learned online that GM sources their horns from Delco-Remy, who makes electric horns in a variety of different notes. I do quite literally mean tuned notes like you learned about in music class and subsequently forgot. Most Cadillacs have two horns, but some models could be ordered with an optional trumpet horn package that added two more. Most of the land barges I found at my local junkyard had two horns consisting of one D note and one F note. Rather than learn about all of the different models of Cadillac, I simply looked for the biggest car I could find, which ended up being a full-tilt Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham de'Elegance Regency Landau Signature Series that happened to have the esteemed trumpet horn package. This car was fully 3-feet longer than the huge Chevrolet Caprice next to it.

Four Cadillac horns, two puny Toyota horns:

No more "meep meep" for me. I mounted two next to the battery on either side of the daytime running light relay and two behind the grill in existing threaded holes in the radiator support. Each one is larger than two Toyota horns and there are four of these bad boys, so heavier gauge wiring and a relay setup is absolutely required.

Rather than blast you (no pun intended) with my opinions on this horn, I will simply let you hear them for yourself. In the video below you a hear (and see) a Cadillac with an unmodified trumpet horn package. The combined A, C, D and F notes play a melody of train goodness that is a perfect complement to a Fleetwood Brougham or your 4runner. I can confirm that cows like it too.

It's a Truck, It's a Train, It's a Cadillac Eldorado! 1985 Biarritz

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

Re: Cadillac Brougham parts meet 4Runner

Sweet!!!
    I have been looking to swap out the horn on the 4Runner, Its just way to pathetic...

Very nice work. While I agree that the horn is pathetic on my Yota as well, I'm not sure I would have put any work into fixing it. Kudos to you!!!
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

It makes me laugh. It really does sound like a freight train.

I've this picture in my head now of him bombing down the interstate near downtown Sac and playing this..
    la cucaracha horn

he has most of the notes.

That's a bit much. I wanted OEM horns of some sort, just loud and fun.

So... maybe my air horns are a bit excessive?

Air horns on my 03 Tacoma
    2012 Tacoma 4x4 6spd TRD, e-locker, LT265/75R16E Michelin LTX A/T2s, Stubbs HD-SKOs
    2003 Taco-was K.I.A. 4/31/12-RIP

Finally took an audio recording of my horns.
    Cadillac Brougham horns on a 4Runner

I think a trip to the jyard is in order when I finally get around to fixing the 4runner's HG. That is just too rad!
    My signature

Chris, easily one of the funnest mods I have done. You'll crack up every time you press the horn, yet when someone is drifting into your lane, you WILL be heard!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast