Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear Diff Question

Rear Diff Question

Two weeks ago I took my 4runner in for safety and emissions testing and to have another noise checked out and to have another alignment done (alignment is still goofy at the whole lower ball joint failure, this is the 3rd one).

When doing the inspection the tech notice an odd sound coming from the rear end. The tech diagonics is that the bearing in the rear diff. is starting to go and should be replaced as a preventative maintenance measure. Quote for them to do the work and service the 4 wheel drive is $995.00

Needless to say I haven't done this yet. My question is then how do you know that the bearing in the rear diff is starting to go? Is there a particular sound or a certain feel to it? Does that price quote seem about right for this type of work? How diffifcult is it to replace the bearing?

At the beginning of this week I've started to notice some short of slippage (at least that's how it feels, seems like its coming from the rear)) when you accelator from a start then past that it's fine. Would this be caused by a bad bearing as mentioned above?

I'm starting to get a sick of the amount of $$ I've had to spend as late on this due to problems. So any advice you all could give me would be great.
    2000 Toyota 4runner with some goodies.

Re: Rear Diff Question

Do you have an e-locker in the rear, or is it open?

TO me, that price sounds incredibly ridiculous. But I don't pay the dealership for ANYTHING, and not a mechanic for much.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I need to give the shop a call again and find out exactly what bearing in the rear it was since I don't remember.

These are the parts the shop quoted me.

Rear Diff Bearing Kit

Crush Sleave 41231-24010
    Gasket 42181-60050
    Seal 90311-38047
    Nut 90179-20018
    In bearing 90366-35087
    Out bearing 90366-30067

This is kind of a mute point at the moment. Will up on Skyline Drive tonight my 4runner shuttering, by the time I get get to the US Bank on 500 w the shuttering gets worse and the check engine light comes on. I'm going to head to O'Riley Auto Parts in the morning to use the code scanner and see what it is (I have an idea on this already.

Navigator

damn dude you're having some major bad luck with your truck it sounds..
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

With the shuddering you are describing, if that is related to the rear end, I would say it is the carrier bearing. If it were me, (which its not) and if it's not an e-locked rear end (which I don't know) I would just look for a new (used) rear diff and swap it. Then you can either sell the other as a "needs work diff" or have the bearings replaced and sell it as good. You will come out MUCH cheaper.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

The fact they want to use a crush sleeve instead of the stronger option and list all the additional parts makes me suspicious. It takes a crap load of abuse to destroy bearings on a 3rd.

Two options here,

One go out for a drive and warm things up. Then pop a magnet on the drain plug and wait for things to cool. Open your fill plug and then loosen the drain plug, putting the fill plug at the bottom to stop everything from pouring out and look for ferrous metal bits.

Two, using a stronger magnet and a wire coathanger do the same as above as far as pulling the fill plug. Attach the magnet to the coathanger wire and fish it down into the diff until you touch bottom, wiggle it around and see what comes out atached.

Rocko, has a good point if it turns out you do need a new diff. Get a used one and swap it in.

A quick glance a Marlin shows a new open diff at $800, but a junkyard one can be had for much, much cheaper.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBorn
    Two options here,

One go out for a drive and warm things up. Then pop a magnet on the drain plug and wait for things to cool. Open your fill plug and then loosen the drain plug, putting the fill plug at the bottom to stop everything from pouring out and look for ferrous metal bits.

Two, using a stronger magnet and a wire coathanger do the same as above as far as pulling the fill plug. Attach the magnet to the coathanger wire and fish it down into the diff until you touch bottom, wiggle it around and see what comes out atached.

If you're gonna stick a magnet on a coat hanger, be careful that it doesn't decide to attach itself to the gears and stay there & the drain plug already should have a magnet on it. If you suspect damage, strain the gear juice through a paint filter and look for solid bits (HF has these for <$10 for a 50 pack or check your local hardware store)

the metal "mush" you find on the drain magnet is nothing, look for bits that you can feel between your fingers
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Coffee filters work too.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Thanks for the replies all. I plan on drianing the rear diff and filtering it this week while my brother is in town. I have elocked diff.

On the hesitation/shutter problem that I still have after new plugs and wires went in. I'm looking at the coils or injectors as a possible problem. Would a bad fuel filter (clogged) cause this problem as well. I've been debating on changing it even though Toyota says its a lifetime item.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast