Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UPDATE: Lift Options

UPDATE: Lift Options

Ok, so after talking to some of the local guys here in Fresno area, a few of them said, I can fit 33" tires on a stock 88 runner without a lift. Can anyone confirm this? Also, I went and installed some rear shackles to balance out my rear sag. Shackles were a good start but looking at my truck, it looks pretty tight to squeeze 33s in there. Here are some before after pictures. Tell me what you guys think. Thanks!

Before picture. Bad sag
    [img width=800 height=600]http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad88/touacha/Photo0059.jpg[/img]

After:
    [img width=800 height=600]http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad88/touacha/Photo0072.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=600]http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad88/touacha/Photo0073.jpg[/img]
    1988 4Runner SR5 V6 - Stock!(soon to be changed)

Re: UPDATE: Lift Options

It "can" be done. You won't have much flex room before you start to rub, and you lose a lot with the scrub radius. You can crank up the Torsion bars a bit and help yourself out, but at the cost of your ride comfort.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

hmmm, if that's the case then would you recommend a body lift or a suspension lift? and how much should i raise it?

Depends on what you want to use the truck for.
    Do you want it to look really cool on the road with the 33's?
    Do you want it to play in the mud?
    Do you want it to occasionally do very mild trails?
    Do harder trails?
    Hit trails more often?
    Go full tilt crawler?

If any of the first three (particularly the first two) I would consider a body lift. I wouldn't go more than 1" though if you plan to off-road it.
    After that you get into suspension lifts, the further down the list you go, the more extreme kit you will need.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Well as of right now I primarily use it for my fishing and hunting trips, but I find myself more and more attracted to trails and getting to that one spot where most people don't venture. I know for sure I won't be doing full tilt crawling, but I do know that I want to have enough articulation and what not to be able to at least go on some intermediate trails in the future without having to do an SAS swap.

I've been researching and price comparisons, I want to stay within a decent budget so the wife doesn't kill me. I'm kind of leaning towards 2.5" ball joint spacers and aftermarket T-bars for the front and possibly a new leaf spring set for the rear. You think that can pull off 33" tires without rubbing? or would I still need to trim the fenders?

1-1/4" to 1-1/2" Ball-joint spacers out front and a replacement spring pack out back. 1" body lift and IMHO, 32's. I've ran 31's, 32's, most recently 33's. I'm back on 31's b/c of poor supply of 32's on the BFG TA/KO's, but take a look at my build thread and check out the clearance I now have. *Granted mine's a 2nd gen, but a similarly applied lift to yours will serve you just fine.

Skip the 2.25" ball-joint spacers, it throws your ability to do a decent alignment completely out the window. At that point if you really need that you're better off with fenders and aftermarket arms or a sas.

FWIW, I think/hope most of the guys w/ 1st Gen Runners and 2nd Gen Trucks like Chris (04 Rocko Taco) and Keith (Corax) might say similarly.

1.5 inch ball joint spacers and a reworked/new spring pack and 1 inch body lift will fit those 33's fine.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like I have a good idea of where to start. Hopefully I can get my truck a new pair of shoes for Christmas

Heck, you can fit 32x11.5 BFG ATs on stock rims (or stock backspacing) without any lift at all and barely get any rubbing with the steering wheel at full lock on a trail. When you say you wanna run 33's, you have to clarify what width. The 33x10.5 will be much easier to fit than a 33x12.5 - the 10.5 should fit with just a 1" body lift.
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Yeah you're right. I originally wanted to get 10.5's but every shop I went to had to "order" them so I rather just get the 12.5's either way, to make things more simple, I might just stick with the 10.5's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast