Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: violent front end shake

Navigator

Re: violent front end shake

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    it appears all of you need some sort of adult supervision...
    x2 .. wow this post is kinda crazy.. and that guy must really like to type, cuz i sure wouldnt have written either of those 1000+ word posts :P
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

so it was spammed all over the internet but now only 2 results come up? im not following the spam cospiracy. ill buy that hes an odd ball though looking for advise on something he didnt know much about

Im triing to fix the p.o.,z mess.ends up The center drag link was way to short caused the trucks front axle to shift side to side.it was 20
    inch c to c. top mounted under frame rail on drivers side.lower mount center was just b4 the 3rd member (drivers side of "pumkin").tomorrow i'll cut it,make it longer and relocate the lower mount tabs. any thoughts where i should relocate the tabs? a good lengh for the drag link? the tire slop absorbed alot of it befor the new tie rods.I didnt post it anywhere but here, and one other site.anymore than that your guess is as good as mine??im not a computer or spam?i do use verizon,could be the reason it said Verizon Cellular.those still discussing the drama taco triied to scwash,we were both scolded and that was that.two excentric people argueing the same point.ive been 4 wheelin since my feet hit the pedals.this dam 3 link had me stumped,i use 4 links.but i still have 30+ yrs of expiriance to share once everyones had there chance to rib me i can take it
    "Im triing to finish but forgot what I have done"..

I'm not much help on the measurements or the location of mounts, but glad you seem to have the culprit figured out. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Awesome! Glad you got it figure out!
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Some of this may help, honestly it's been a while since I've read them b/c these days it's 4link or leaf springs.
    http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12905

A great resource for this sort of thing is also Wyatt Scott, or awsumdc. He isn't a member here but he has setup his own forum for solid axle swaps on http://www.rocksolidtoys.com/forum/forums.php

Some full size pictures of the entire front end would help to better see things and how it is setup. Get the links, the mount points, the measurements right now, etc, etc.

As for the tab placement question, pretty much you want to completely eliminate any axle wrap that will induce shudder b/c the caster shifts at the same time. How you do this is by using a high-low placement of the tabs.

Put your arm out in front of you and imagine how to keep it from twisting radially. If you have two completely level or close to level points the axle or in this case your arm simply pivots on that axis. Now, if you have a mount in the same line as your thumb, and another down towards the underside of your arm, almost in line with your elbow that twisting is almost eliminated through torsional resistance.

Hope that makes sense.

thanks for the links,probly have to read it a couple times..haha, but i see what your saying.i know its 1/10th scale,but my crawler has aluminium black widow axles,look just like the real deal full size ones.Ive been playing with it on the table to figure whats stumping me. my front is 4 link, but the back is a 3 link just like the truck and its accually helping me learn alot about the differences on how the two work.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCal
    Some of this may help, honestly it's been a while since I've read them b/c these days it's 4link or leaf springs.
    http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12905

A great resource for this sort of thing is also Wyatt Scott, or awsumdc. He isn't a member here but he has setup his own forum for solid axle swaps on http://www.rocksolidtoys.com/forum/forums.php

Some full size pictures of the entire front end would help to better see things and how it is setup. Get the links, the mount points, the measurements right now, etc, etc.

As for the tab placement question, pretty much you want to completely eliminate any axle wrap that will induce shudder b/c the caster shifts at the same time. How you do this is by using a high-low placement of the tabs.

Put your arm out in front of you and imagine how to keep it from twisting radially. If you have two completely level or close to level points the axle or in this case your arm simply pivots on that axis. Now, if you have a mount in the same line as your thumb, and another down towards the underside of your arm, almost in line with your elbow that twisting is almost eliminated through torsional resistance.

Hope that makes sense.

your guess hits the nail on the head my friend..haha.Im not a robot or a spam cospiracy.the rest fits though..people tell me. but I have this dam verizon wi-fi crap.Ive been having problems with site registrations. somone mentioned some bad pings?are my post everywhere? I only see here and over at toyota offroad and I posted those? this helps account for the misunderstandings if im spamming the shiznats out of everybody and im posted everywhere. I better find a better deal, problem is im about 20 miles into the hills. nearest nieghbors 12. verizon only works cause im a cellular landlord,, incase people dont know that basically means i have a big arse antenna in my upper field. at 1600ft on the west face of portland it shoots rite on out to the beach un-abstrucked(bad speller..sorry) oh and i filled out my profile with my daughers set-up,dont know if that worked.im guna try and post intro to.computer crap dont work half the dam time
    author=troyboy162 link=topic=9793.msg97934#msg97934 date=1310578184]
    so it was spammed all over the internet but now only 2 results come up? im not following the spam cospiracy. ill buy that hes an odd ball though looking for advise on something he didnt know much about

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123