Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: violent front end shake

violent front end shake

Hello all,greetings from the pacific northwest. My daughter saved for years and finally bought her first truck for her 16th birthday,A 1990 ex cab and its got alot of heavy duty and aftermarket parts for crawling and 4x4 fun.you can check more about her ride at the intro forum. the truck had some little problems to attend to, but was at first,and suppost to be very driveable engine and drivetrain wise. well first a motor rebuild had to be done after the 5th day she owned it. But heres my real problem, when your driving it feels like a hop in front around 35, then go away at 40ish.but after driving behind it to inspect, i realized it was accually really bad side to side tie rod slop, no visible up and down like youd see with a bulged tire. So we got all 4 brand new heavy duty tie rod ends and it made it feel better but not fixed. so next was a rag joint, but this time it feels even worse.it seems everytime we fix a loose part that was giving alittle, you feel a more violent shaking. im guessing the slop i fixed is no longer able to absorb the movment and im getting closer to the real problem so its a violent side to side thrash rather than wheel wobble when it was all sloopy. now I have no problem searching post and finding answers but I have 2 asap situations, 1 im at a loss what to replace next,or maybe adjust? 2, my daughters home from vacation saturday and i want it fixed. after owning it 2 months shes only drove it 7days.If noone minds,,Id rather spend time wrenching than searching if somone had some quik ideas.heres her set up,

1990 toy ex cab truck 22re(original v6)
    1985 boxed "trail gear" sas front
    3 point link bars and jeep coils front
    chevy 1500 rear leaf springs.
    40" swampers

problem:at first it felt like a small wiggle at 35 to 40 mph then plain out and stop wiggling.inspected and replaced tie rods
    after replacing tie rod ends it became a side to side wiggle that wont stop til the truck stops.inspected replaced rag joint
    after replacing rag joint it feels very violent, thrashing side to side,wont stop til truck stops even with clutch in its harsh.
    I just measured top and bottom of rim cause it looked like my front drive side tire was like a vw rear camber.its about 3/4"
    smaller on top,is that normal?

after driving it today I noticed when it slams to one side,my sterring wheel goes the oppisite way.the trucks controling me not me controling it.ive never opened a steer box,is it gears,worm drive? the way the wheel respondes opposite to the tires i see gears in my head inside that box.i thought about gears be stripped,but the steering wheel moves uncontrolable, more force than i can hold? i build and design high dollar 1:10 scale crawlers and scale 4x4z.even though its smaller,i have the concept of 3 and 4 link systems,how to adjust for less binding..ect.Again its not full scale,but im not totally in the dark on full scale either.my jeeps set up with pretty much the same system and not a problem.if my lower links are like even an 1" different could that cause problems like shaking out of control. i havent measured that stuff yet,installed from previous owner(ive been working on steering parts)but wouldnt it just dog leg like an old chevy truck rear axle?tomorrow is a full adjustment of all links from factory measuring point for the most accuracy rather than the links them selfs.I know im new,but i'll pay my searching due's on the next one.can anyone help,ideas?drivelines are new,but could an unbalanced line cause the shaking im explaining,im just throwing out anything i can think of. chambered front tire..brokin axle maybe??it just wants to slam one side then the other,absalutly no holding it straight at all,fight it everytime and it allways wins no matter how hard you try to hold it straight or just hold it in place???(its seems worse if you do try to hold it??)thanks guyz.
    "Im triing to finish but forgot what I have done"..

Re: violent front end shake

*Quick questions..

~You have a SAS, correct?
    ~Who did the work? Local shop, experienced builder, etc-etc??
    ~Checked your angles, etc? Because a 3-link's a lot easier to screw up than leafs.
    ~How soft are the coils and are you running locator plates and bolts to keep them from walking?

Put a go-pro under there and repeat the test drive. Video's money these days for nailing stuff like this.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12 do a search in there, there's ton's of times I've seen this exact bit posted up.

*FYI..You posted this in there already apparently: http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=991787, correct? You said above the rest of the info's in your intro, but all you did was completely copy/paste the same post over here. Make's it a bit hard(er) for anyone to really understand all that info without any backstory actually present IMHO and makes you look like a forum spammer, even if legitimately looking for help.

Give us some better info and answer the questions I posted above.

Is this what it does?
    Death Wobble

I don't know much about SASed trucks, but it almost sounds like death wobble. Whoever did the SAS may not have set the caster angle right.

You could also try rotating your tires and see what happens after that.

-Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Its one of the links either loose or set up wrong, perhaps the track bar is bad. Or a bad alignment.
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

i had no idea
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBorn
    *FYI..You posted this in there already apparently: http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=991787, correct? You said above the rest of the info's in your intro, but all you did was completely copy/paste the same post over here. Make's it a bit hard(er) for anyone to really understand all that info without any backstory actually present IMHO and makes you look like a forum spammer, even if legitimately looking for help.

Give us some better info and answer the questions I posted above.
    the sites were the same ones.i simply searched google and found a few sites to write to. and yes its copy paste cause i was asking the same question at both places.yeah if i knew ultimateyoda and pirate 4x4 was the same i would have only posted in one.again was simply hitting as many forums as possible cause every one has its experts or old schoolers. and i was triing to get it done for my daughter returning from vacation. shes had it a few months and like 7 of those driving.i dont know what to add to what i wrote to start the thread, i gave my set up, and it explains my problem.so sorry for the double post, do you have any thoughts rather than conflict.i just want to fix my truck...not argue cause i posted 2 completely different sites and was un aware they were affiliated
    &quot;Im triing to finish but forgot what I have done&quot;..

Ultimateyota and Pirate 4x4 are not affiliated and are two completely different sites.

If I ever have a daughter and she decides to buy a SASed Toyota truck on 40s for her fist car, I'd be one proud dad.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by hillbillyz
    ...not argue cause i posted 2 completely different sites and was un aware they were affiliated
    NP. We've given you the info you need to address to start fixing the problem above, including the third and fourth points in my original reply.

wow, why are you so bitter?you come off like I personally attack you or somthing.I apoligized for the double post,I nicely ask if you had some advice?? admited I didnt do any in depth searching, but I explained why and ive been searching now shes home and i missed the nut.. leaving me more time to research. as far as arguing.I was pointing out that im a real dude with a real problem not just some forum jumping prick.im here to learn about my truck,"not argue" cause I posted at more than one forum.forums are for learning and interacting with people of like mind.If i have more than one source why would i not use all of them?when you buy parts for your truck do you just go the same place allways? or do you shop around somtimes to find the best deal.I posted several forums cause everyone has there resident expert,some old guy that knows his shizzle.and you are completely correct about the "copy paste" i wrote my question out on my word pad and copy pasted it to all 4.why would i go to 4 different sites and post different description of my problem?just so I dont look like a computer.theres a study that says over 60% of texter's and forum user's,esspecially facebookers read emotion into the conversation...73% of them were wrong about how they precieved the delivery of the message.your preety direct in short sentences,that typically is a sign of irratation.plus I see no gain bye pointing out I posted more than one forum and used the same discription other than just being a prick. so i feel safe saying your beeing less than nice in your reply's..ive been totally nice apoligizing to you when i dont need to justify why or what I do.eveyone else was very nice.all of this just because it was super important to me to fix my daughters truck as a suprize when she got home from vacation. so I hit up every site, forum, part house, anywhere I might get help...big deal,did you personally suffer do to my actions..I dont know if you have kids,if you do Im sure you know exactly what it feels like when all you want to do is make everything better,comfort them. if your not a dad..when you become one you'll relize how important they and their stuff becomes and how little yours matters.in your opinion i went overboard posting to many places,in my opinion i didnt do enough..So just for you in front of everyone let me say once again, sorry to you and anyone else I offended bye posting in more than one forum out of the 200,000 that came up.and thank you to everyone else that gave me possitive feed back,i did find a couple things i would have never thought to look at. but due to your help their variables that have been eliminated. also i wana apoligize to the other members,admin, and mod's for my curt words and profanity in this reply, but really what a peety thing to bring up..thanks for your unkind words,it'll keep me motivated.they say never speak when you can listen,the only problem is you have nothing of value to say,just insults.guess ill go somewhere guys like to share and help without the bullshizzle bashing.just because im having 3 link problems doesnt mean im a newbie as so many like to call it.to bad I probly could have contributed alot of back wood knowledge,been sand dragging for 20 some odd years, and pullin since the day my feet reached the pedals of my mini vega wagon puller

Edit Rocko: Edited out the cussing.
    &quot;Im triing to finish but forgot what I have done&quot;..

Wait, what?? I merely pointed out a basic piece of info, gave you an appropriate answer, as did a couple other people re-iterating that and you come back with all that worded rant on me? WOW, whatever.

I hope you get the help you need and get things fixed. You obviously don't need my feedback. Sorry if you interpreted things differently.

Quote Originally Posted by hillbillyz
    wow, why are you so bitter?you come off like I personally attack you or somthing.I apoligized for the double post,I nicely ask if you had some advice?? admited I didnt do any in depth searching, but I explained why and ive been searching now shes home and i missed the nut.. leaving me more time to research. as far as arguing.I was pointing out that im a real dude with a real problem not just some forum jumping prick.im here to learn about my truck,"not argue" cause I posted at more than one forum.forums are for learning and interacting with people of like mind.If i have more than one source why would i not use all of them?when you buy parts for your truck do you just go the same place allways? or do you shop around somtimes to find the best deal.I posted several forums cause everyone has there resident expert,some old guy that knows his shit.and you are completely correct about the "copy paste" i wrote my question out on my word pad and copy pasted it to all 4.why would i go to 4 different sites and post different description of my problem?just so I dont look like a computer.theres a study that says over 60% of texter's and forum user's,esspecially facebookers read emotion into the conversation...73% of them were wrong about how they precieved the delivery of the message.your preety direct in short sentences,that typically is a sign of irratation.plus I see no gain bye pointing out I posted more than one forum and used the same discription other than just being a prick. so i feel safe saying your beeing less than nice in your reply's..ive been totally nice apoligizing to you when i dont need to justify why or what I do.eveyone else was very nice.all of this just because it was super important to me to fix my daughters truck as a suprize when she got home from vacation. so I hit up every site, forum, part house, anywhere I might get help...big deal,did you personally suffer do to my actions..I dont know if you have kids,if you do Im sure you know exactly what it feels like when all you want to do is make everything better,comfort them. if your not a dad..when you become one you'll relize how important they and their stuff becomes and how little yours matters.in your opinion i went overboard posting to many places,in my opinion i didnt do enough..So just for you in front of everyone let me say once again, sorry to you and anyone else I offended bye posting in more than one forum out of the 200,000 that came up.and thank you to everyone else that gave me possitive feed back,i did find a couple things i would have never thought to look at. but due to your help their variables that have been eliminated. also i wana apoligize to the other members,admin, and mod's for my curt words and profanity in this reply, but really what a peety thing to bring up..thanks for your unkind words,it'll keep me motivated.they say never speak when you can listen,the only problem is you have nothing of value to say,just insults.guess ill go somewhere guys like to share and help without the bullshit bashing.just because im having 3 link problems doesnt mean im a newbie as so many like to call it.to bad I probly could have contributed alot of back wood knowledge,been sand dragging for 20 some odd years, and pullin since the day my feet reached the pedals of my mini vega wagon puller

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast