Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd gen 4runner F-150 tank swap behind rear axle

3rd gen 4runner F-150 tank swap behind rear axle

just consolidating this now that i have real internet

the tank is a 1990-1997 ford F-150 rear gasoline tank. the diesel version is the same but its fuel pump will be different. the fuel pump that goes with the gas unit is close enough to the toy 3.4 unit (possibley others) that people have had this swap for years without issue. the tank sits in the stock spare tire location up and out of the way for the most part. so on with it...

the cost
    I have about $350 into this mod. I had hoped to come in $100 less, but my tank source was pretty expensive at $225 for the tank/pump/sender and mount brackets. in the past people have gotten the tank/pump/sender for only $50

the tank
    its 18 gallons (same as stock) and 34-3/4" x 27" x 7-7/8". you can safely pound that down to 25" by flattening the pinch weld on both ends(yup just like your wheel wells). the tank is also oddly deep in a small area at the rear. that can be pounded down as well without loosing more then a 1/4 gallon.

-they come in plastic too
    -make your own air purge line so you can fill faster at the pump.
    -evap (charcoal canister) line is 1/4" low preasure fuel line

the fuel pump
    the ford pump ues nice quick release fittings. feel free to go through the trouble of adapting to them...or cut them off as most do lol. leave as much tube as possible to clamp to. I think it runs at roughly 35 psi and i worried hose clamps wouldnt hold, but they make special fuel hose clamps that do great at the job. The sending unit is said to have the wrong ohms for our system. feel free to put effort into making it work only as rough estimate...or dont even bother with it and use a ultraguage or scanguage.

-light motor oil on the pump seal 0-ring will aid in installation
    -fuel return is 1/4" low pressure fuel line
    -fuel feed is XX" high pressure fuel line
    -fuel pump + is red, negitive is black
    -toyota harness fuel pump + is blue/orange negitive is white/grey?

fuel filler hose
    -45deg pre bent 2" exhaust piece
    -2" fuel filler hose (expensive $19 per foot. measure three times lol)
    -fits up high on the stock filler neck
    -2" is not a tight fit for the tank or the neck but its close enough to hose clamp down
    -air purge fitting is XX" on the stock filler neck

connecting to stock fuel lines
    - 1/4 fuel return and evap fit perfectly
    - fuel feed can clamp to the flange of the toy fuel feed line but this is ghetto. so far its working fine though.

2011-07-11_08-26-54_858

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba
    Tank mount

Forward mounts

You can see the forward mounts as well as the holes drilled through the bumper tube for the rearward mounts

Last edited by troyboy162; 04-23-2013 at 01:34 AM.

Re: 3rd gen 4runner F-150 tank swap behind rear axle

Can I nominate this for a wiki? Seeing as it's basically usable for 2nd-Gen Runners also.

I would love to do this swap for a 2nd fuel tank on my 3rd gen. Lots of other stuff that needs to happen first though.

Thanks for the write up Troy!
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

if it ports directly to the wiki that would be cool, but probably going to get more hits just being int he forum. I dont fully understand the motors the fuel pump will be ok on. id guess anything with lower/equal psi requirements and flow rate then the pump would work? ive only seen this on 3.4L

Dan it would be a sick second tank mod. bruceTS said they sell a 30+ gallon version if you wanted to horde gas lol.

The Bronco gas tank is 22 gallon just for reference but when I fit it into place, I would have just as much if not more hanging under the frame rail as the stock tank....

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun
    The Bronco gas tank is 22 gallon just for reference but when I fit it into place, I would have just as much if not more hanging under the frame rail as the stock tank....
    What year bronco? I would love a couple extra gallons.
    2001 4Runner 3.4V-6 SR5 4x4 Money Pit<br />2008 FJC TT SE 6 SPEED stock

Troy, have you noticed any difference in the way the truck handles?
    2001 4Runner 3.4V-6 SR5 4x4 Money Pit<br />2008 FJC TT SE 6 SPEED stock

Quote Originally Posted by NakSuKow
    Troy, have you noticed any difference in the way the truck handles?
    Yes it feels alot like the rear is loaded with camping gear. The back end is very dampened now, but is more prown to step out when playing on the dirt with throttle. Between the two changes i like it better so far. Hopefully the weight shift is good for wheeling

Interesting. I hadn't thought about the shift in location of weight. Might be a good excuse for the Icon adjustable shocks.

I think the bronco year I was looking at was 85 but they made the bronco till 96 so I am sure if you find one from a newer one it would work.

Probably a stiffer shock in the rear is in order now that the extra shifting weight is back there

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast