Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 3rd gen 4runner F-150 tank swap behind rear axle

Interesting info.

I am curious as well how the one pump lasted so long but the other only a few weeks if that.
    You said that you hook the evap system back up to pass smog, was that around the same time frame you installed the new pump?

I remember reading a thread sometime last year where some one had actually cut a square section of Toyota tank, pulled out the baffle, cut a match hole in a new tank, put the baffle in, and then welded in the Toyota tank section so that everything essentially stayed stock.

I will try to search around to see if they have had any issues with the set up, this may be an option?

I am unsure how the module in the ford works vs. the for baffle, maybe if the module detects the fuel flowing about in the tank and slows down the pump when it gets air over fuel into it?

After reading it all, getting a huge headache trying to not get dizzy from all numbers and how the pictures are taken, it makes sense and is a very clean install... http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...0-4runner.html

that swap of the toyota stuff looks great but that is a ton of work. I dont have my toyota fuel tank anymore so that route is out of the question anyhow due to cost. The ford unit should be fine so I lean toward finding some install issue like there is low voltage at the pump or something equally invisible, but important. Maybe particles from my water weld make there way in and ruin the pump. Maybe the smaller effective baffle of the ford module allows recirculated fuel to trap too much heat. Maybe these are really junky pumps and my abusive driving and frequent low fuel levels just eat them alive. Tare down and autopsy will be this weekend.

Today I'm back to looking at external pumps, not because they are a good option, but because I can change one on the side of the road in 5 minutes and that's where I am scared to be stuck again. Even if I find a resolvable install issue; I've got the fear in me now lol.

Also the ford module is just a pump with a housing that acts as a baffle/sump for a tank that does not have one. I've read now that its a common approach used by lots of manufactures these days since its very effective at keeping the pump pickup in fuel. The return line dumps into the bowl so it continually recirculates the fuel up to the regulator and then sips more fuel as needed from the sock filter on the bottom of the module. That way the sock filter on the bottom can be out of the fuel for extended periods as the pump lives off whats in the module reservoir.
    Last edited by troyboy162; 07-06-2016 at 12:18 PM.

testing completed and the results are bad lol. The fuel pump is getting proper voltage and the voltage drop between the pump and battery is only .7 volts. That could be a bit better, but its not cause for alarm.

What is a cause for alarm is this fuel pump did not die. The valves in the pump module are malfunctioning. When you fire it up it just spews out fuel from the seams on the module. that means the check valve is stuck closed or the shuttle valve is messed up. When the pump is divorced from the module it works just fine. The bad valves may be a result of the water weld cracking off contaminate into the module, but it would have to pass through the pump to enter those valves and the screen filter on the pump itself is fairly fine.

In other news there is no way to use the module with a external pump. The internal check valve on the module means you could never vacuum fuel up and out.

Probably not a good idea to keep messing with these ford pumps. Sure I probably caused some of those pump deaths, some were probably defective, but its not working out for me.

I'm staring down these two options:

1. make a access door in the rear so I can keep changing out ford fuel pumps easily.

2. put baffles in the tank. Modify the pick up, and proceed with a external or internal pump.

Truck is gonna be down for awhile lol

Game over... my buddy had a tank he didn't need from a 98 4runner. Toyota baffles and pickup grafted in. I'm paying him to weld it up since hes good at that. Best investment I've made in the truck in a long time.

How does everything work now?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    How does everything work now?

Not yet installed but I don't expect any surprises. The Toyota system is a classic bucket and pick up. Not much to go wrong and with a Denso pump it should be a 200k mile solution like we have all seen on these trucks. Knock on wood of course lol, I'm nervous about fuel pumps these days

The baffle is not in the center of the tank like it should be, but my tank is at a tilt anyhow and there is a cross member in the way of mounting anything on the outside of the middle of the tank. The baffle is slightly forward and that may be the ideal spot anyway given the tilt.

The pick up has been modified to reach back into the tank further to meet up with the better baffle location

Patchwork quilt style so that the pick up could be seen while it was modified.
    Last edited by troyboy162; 07-13-2016 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162 View Post
    Not yet installed but I don't expect any surprises. The Toyota system is a classic bucket and pick up. Not much to go wrong and with a Denso pump it should be a 200k mile solution like we have all seen on these trucks. Knock on wood of course lol, I'm nervous about fuel pumps these days

The baffle is not in the center of the tank like it should be, but my tank is at a tilt anyhow and there is a cross member in the way of mounting anything on the outside of the middle of the tank. The baffle is slightly forward and that may be the ideal spot anyway given the tilt.

The pick up has been modified to reach back into the tank further to meet up with the better baffle location

Patchwork quilt style so that the pick up could be seen while it was modified.
    I understand your nervousness lol! You've had quite a time with this mod. I definitely have my fingers crossed for ya.

It certainly looks solid though. I have high hopes for success.

98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

This is probably the best solution to doing the ford tank.
    I have a spare tank at my parents I think, so once we are settled into the new house and pickup a welder, its on! lol

How much is a new pump? just peace of mind, throw a new one in?

The new pump from denso was only $80. It didn't come with the bottom rubber piece so that was reused. No worries with that since it's just a spacer.

Also don't cut the sealing surface off like my buddy did lol. It leaks bad and I'm going to have to use sealer.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234