Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1988 4Runner Winch bumper opinions

1988 4Runner Winch bumper opinions

So I figure it's time for a new project and with some of the organizations I may be getting involved with a winch bumper is finally in order. I'm modeling the base of it off Robinhood4x4's bumper build - I really dig his multi-mount functionality (BTW, anyone else notice in his build that the coolness factor of his bumper must have rubbed off on the IFS and turned it into a SAS?)

Excuse the poor google Sketch Up renderings, but this is what I have so far. I could easily build another tube bumper, something like this

and mocked up to a 2nd gen pickup since I couldn't find a pre-made 4runner model

Or I was thinking of making a tube bumper and then fiberglassing between the tubes to make front storage compartments. The finished product would look something like this, the lines off the winch plate would be tube - the 2 lowest tubes being 1.5" and the 2 upper ones just 1"

I couldn't get the planes on the bumper quite right, but hopefully this'll give some kind of idea where I'm going

I'm getting 1/4" plate for the winch mount and center part of the bumper today, that'll get built this week at work. So what'cha think? Should I go with plain tube or try to build something a bit different with fiberglass over a tube framed bumper?
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Re: 1988 4Runner Winch bumper opinions

A bit of progress today. I picked up a 1/4 plate remnant and started on the center part of the bumper. Here it is all laid out and ready to get cut

After a few hours with the Sawzall, grinder and HF Welder (just to tack it together). I'll probably take it to work and use their welder to burn the final welds in - every gusset and plate is getting welded on both sides

Awesome! I like fab threads. Looks good Keith!
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Tech = Good.

I like the look of plate bumpers as tube leaves everything exposed. I like your idea of the fiberglass over tube. I don't envy the project but like your creativity.

looks good keith! i like the idea of the fiberglass over tube, very creative and will keep weight down.

i never liked tube bumpers. and i hate fiberglass, good luck! i really look forward to seeing more!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I guess I am the odd man out here, I like tube bumpers. Either way I'm not sure I envy your project and the work involved, but I cannot wait to see the finished result.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

The more I look at it, the more I'm liking the tube design (I'm gonna try to add in headlight protection when I get time). Maybe that design with a fiberglass top and front would work. The storage idea, I think, has some merit, but I could easily see anything put in there becoming a dirty, moldy mess unless I can get the sealing right.

As far as the fiberglassing goes, I don't think it'll be that much work. If I go that route, I was considering using expanded steel tacked to the tubes to make the basis and form to lay the fiberglass on - only the outside has to be sanded to look pretty. And then there's the issue of the fiberglass right on top of the tube cracking if I bump a tree or rock - maybe just 'glass some panels between the tube? Either way, this is going to be a bit of a slow build so I have plenty of time to gather thoughts and ideas. Thanks for the input so far

Why fiberglass over thin sheet metal?

Use 18 gauge or something with a couple of braces to make the same things you want to make out of fiberglass, still relatively lightweight, and much more prone to withstnd the rigors of being on the front of an offroaded truck.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Keith, definitely go with a tube bumper, dzus tabs, fiberglass plate or 18/20ga plate for fill-in, just like I said a couple years ago, baja stylee. ~I just haven't gotten the time to do it on mine yet, the tabs are sitting at my family's house still. I have a stack of cardboard sheets from diaper boxes for the templates too. LOL>The benefit is a tube bumper allows so much room for changes and mods IMHO.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast