Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1988 4Runner Winch bumper opinions

Re: 1988 4Runner Winch bumper opinions

Woohoo!! I just got word that the bumper is going to be put to good use at the Wild West Rally in late September. Pending a meeting with the Sweep Team captain to look over the truck and my equipment, I'll be the newest member (probationary, of course) on NW Rally E-Crew

I guess this means I need to start researching my winch options sooner rather than later
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

Oh man, it would be awesome to be a part of that . Makes me want to do it now.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

So you'll be pulling support, correct? Nice, color me jealous.
    BTW, seen this?

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter
    Oh man, it would be awesome to be a part of that . Makes me want to do it now.
    They're always looking for volunteers at these events. Registration is on http://www.rallydata.com/ and I think there's a rally or two in Tennessee which might not be terribly far for you

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBorn
    BTW, seen this?
    Yep, one of the Overland Rallies starts tomorrow not too far from where I'm at. There was a call put out on one of the sites asking for volunteers, but I just don't have the time for it this weekend.

I made a little bit of progress on it today. The main bars are bent and tacked into place well enough to transport it into work so I can finish weld them (and heat bend the far passenger side about 1" up to match the other side). Then I'll fab the lower tubes that bolt to the side of the frame and connect with the main tube at the side

BTW, I also figured out a simple solution for the "dimples" that my HF bender leaves in pipe. Here's an example from my old bumper - see the dimples just above the turn signal?

The fix was simple - I got a threaded pipe nipple big enough to fit over the 1.5" sch 40, cut in in half length wise and placed between the pipe and rollers. Now when I'm bending, the pressure isn't localized and there are no more dimples

One more project down and mostly finished - I still want to bend up some headlight guards out of 1" pipe, but that can wait awhile. The white paint is Rustoleum oil based white metal primer, after it dries for a few days it'll get a healthy coat of black oil based paint. And yes, I need to make a stop by Fastenal for some 12mm x 1.25 bolts.

As with any project, it evolved and changed a bit while it was being put together. For example, once I get a winch, removal will have to be from the front - I don't think there's enough space between the top hoop and the grill to lift it straight up, so I had to change the top hoop a bit to make sure there was enough room to slide the winch forward.

I also decided to attach the top hoop to the lower lateral tube instead of the main tube. This allowed me to lean it forward a bit more than if it was welded to the main tube.

I didn't primer the lower half of the lateral tube because I need to heat it up to get the bolt holes at the bottom to line up again. BTW, like the parking light? That was just radiant heat from the tube when I heated it up to fine tune the bend. By the time I saw what was happening it was already too late.

Navigator

that looks sick Keith.. i really like the way the bars work together..
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

While I've been a bit busy working on my '85 Celica "nothing pretty" rallycross project, I finally got around to bending up the headlight guards so I thought I'd update this thread. I have one month to get a few more things in order before Olympus Rally in Washington state, so the 'runner will be getting a bit of love in the coming weeks

Looking good, Kieth!

-Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Looks like a happy face lol. Good work!
    Marc<br />96&#39; T100 SR5 4x4<br /><br />Other rides:<br />00 Honda 416EX

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast