Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Printing Parts

Printing Parts

Yes, you read that correctly. The ability to print out parts. These may be parts such as clips, brackets, holders, replacement parts, and even major components in complex mechanisms.

So now that I've probably confused you even more, take a look at these links, to fill in some of the areas I won't cover:

OhmEye's Introduction and Orientation for 3D Printing with the Reprap Prusa Mendel

http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page

This machine is the basis of my Senior Project at Cal Poly Pomona, for my BS in Engineering Technology. That's why it's important to me.

Why is it important to you? - Because you can quickly and cheaply make prototype parts or working assemblies of things you've always wanted but no one ever made.

Here is my machine:

Total cost for all consumed materials is right around $500 dollars. Not the most inexpensive piece of kit, but well within the reach of the average hobbyist. I have about $650 into mine, because of minimum order amounts, and ordering some unnecessary parts.

As an extension to my primer on plastics, here is how this machine uses plastic filament to create complex three dimensional objects.

Plastic, most commonly ABS (previously discussed in the link above), or PLA (a newer plastic derived from bio-mass, very "green") is fed into the machine as a filament. This is most similar to weed trimmer line; although that is most often made of nylon, and unusable in this situation. This filament is fed through a mechanism that very precisely controls the amount fed. it then enters a hot end where it is melted at temperatures above 200 degrees C, or over 400 degrees F. It is then extruded through a small nozzle (Fractions of a millimeter) and is deposited as a thing line on the bed. a 3 axis machine controls precisely where this filament is deposited. Perimeters are deposited first, then filled in. this process is repeated for each layer of the part, until the top is reached.

So what can you make with this? Pretty much anything you want, as long as the plastic will stand up to whatever abuse you plan on putting it through. Obviously creating a new set of valves or a camshaft for your engine is not a possibility, nor is suspension components. However, things like clips to hold fuel and brake lines, wires, etc. brackets to mount GPS units, radios, etc. The options are limited by imagination, print area, and material performance.

So far I have designed a few household fix items, and a couple of brackets to mount my electronics on my printer

and this:

Sadly, I lost the 3d files for that, but as soon as I can redraw them, I will print it. After that, we’ll see about distributing them… but that’s a topic for another thread.

Obviously I didn’t even scratch the surface of this machine and this technique of making things from plastic. The box at the bottom is for you to ask questions, so please do!
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-25-2013 at 04:48 PM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Re: Printing Parts

I still think trying out some R/C Car parts would be cool. You could make custom a-arms, etc for the old Tamiya stuff that's no longer around.

How about some body's, like maybe a pickup or 4Runner, or would it need to be in pieces like a model so the roof could be shaped? How much finishing work does the plastic require to make it cleaner in appearance?

thats really awesome! what are you going to make in the future?

Navigator

These things are awesome! and to see that you can make one for ~$500 is incredible. Considering the ones my community college has (they are the cheap ones) are about $25k a piece, and the ones at Cal Poly SLO (which i believe are the same as the ones at Pomona) are about $40k each.

Shane - just some light sanding should clean up the appearance. Sean may not have his fully calibrated yet either, not sure.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

for things like RC bodies, it would best be done in sections. my build area is approximately 200x200x100mm, or very roughly 8x8x4 inches. large overhangs are difficult but doable.

most of those parts are better made with vacuum form molding, since that produces very thin and light shells. the area where this gets real interesting is suspension parts, because you can print one, try it out, find you need a longer arm or to put the wheel center back a bit, and can print a new one in a few minutes. if you break one, just print another!

surface finish is always going to be grainy, its the nature of the process. even on this part, produced on one of the big, commercial FDM (filament deposition manufacturing) printers, you can detect each layer and how it was laid down,

depending on the plastic, you can treat it with chemicals to smooth it out. if you print in ABS, you can use acetone (a solvent, link in first post for more info) to smooth it all down. otherwise, with PLA, you can use sand paper. i print with PLA because i can print it with less heat which means less warping.

my machine is not "fully calibrated" however its producing very good, usable prints. holes usually need to be drilled out to the correct size if they are to fit on something with an exact diameter. i am still dialing in my settings, and alot of prints require settings different from others. there is a pretty big learning curve for the software. but its getting better, just in the couple of months ive been in the community, it's improved so much.

my next parts? when i get my plastic order later this week, ill print a webcam mount of my own design, a spool for my plastic, and some other useful bits for my printer. after that, a few gopro mounts, a mount for my phone in the truck, and alot of house hold items.

www.thingiverse.com has cool stuff all the time, so im sure i will print a bunch of junk i dont need just to play with the printer.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-25-2013 at 04:47 PM.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

LOL.. Mmmmmaaaarrrriiiiooooo??
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:10526

yep, some cool stuff on there.

im in the process of designing a webcam mount, and when i print i usually stream here: RepRap - Seanz0rz

its not streaming right now, but it will be at some point in the next few days, ill try to post up when i am streaming.

That's Cool, I found the raprap about a year ago and am thinking of doing one as a pet project at work.

Thanks for postings this, I might be hitting you up for some help if I ever get around to starting one.

93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

yep, i offer all the help i can. if you need a set of printed parts, let me know and ill see if i can print up a set for you.

Navigator

How strong of plastic are the parts that you make? like how much stress can they handle without breaking?
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast