Thread: Anyone use EchoLink?

Anyone use EchoLink?

I thought I'd give it a try since I've talked with a few guys that use it. I downloaded an app to do it on my phone which I hope is pretty cool. From what I read guys don't even know you're on a phone. I've used it under instruction from a neighbor on his laptop and I like the fact you can transmit all over the world on 2m for free.

If you've used it, especially on a phone, what program do you use? How do you like it?

I downloaded the free EchoLink app from Synergenics, LLC. Once I get a little more time I'll go to their website to see if they have a how to manual. I know every phone is different but the program was designed to work best with a dedicated camera button that is to be used as a PTT. I don't have one so I use the screen. Local repeaters are quiet right now so I'll wait until tonight and with another radio to see how it does. I also need to figure out what a lot of the icons stand for because I'm just poking everything. It would neat to talk with some of you guys if you have a local echolink repeater.

Re: Anyone use EchoLink?

I just DL'd it. Need to get a callsign, etc. before playing around...
    2010 Sequoia Limited Black - Bils UCA & Shocks, Borla Cat back, Morimoto Headlights
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium Dark Blue w/TRD Gunmetal Wheels - Kings/OME, 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, SSO BMC, TRD Skid, Victory 4x4 Blitz Sliders and Front Bumper, BD Fogs & Light Bar, Morimoto Headlights, Prinsu Rack
    2023 Tacoma Trail White w/Bronze wheels - CBI T3 Side Steps

I need to get off the phone and sit at a real computer to figure it out. I can log on and what not but no one can hear me and I can't hear them. I turned my real radio on to verify and it's something I'm doing because I can't hear myself. Hopefully there is help or a how to online.
    KJ6LMQ

I got stopped at the registration part. none of the easy ways work for me since I dont have a lan line phone and my callsign is not attached to me billing address. Oh well. I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of it.

I validated my call sign at work so I did the $1.00 thing as I didn't have my license with me. The validation was instant, like right away.

Anyways, I've used it before on a laptop that had a wired mic. It's just like talking on the radio but you can look at a screen. The phone app is similar, just less to look at. Computer based IRLP can be very technical and in depth where the phone is a little more basic and right down my alley.

Yesterday I was having trouble transmitting and receiving but I think it was because I was on the work wi-fi and didn't have my phone configured properly. Not to mention I think the local repeaters I was trying to get on aren't set up to accept all VOIP connections.

Today while walking to lunch I was talking to two guys through a repeater in Benica which is outside of San Francisco. Both were using echolink (not sitting in their vehicle with just a radio, for example). One was a caretaker of the repeater and local to it at his house. The other guy was on a his cell phone in Rochester, NY. He was walking home from work so you could hear his heavy breathing and traffic. Once nice thing about the echolink (and a screen) and repeaters that are set up a certain way is that you can have multiple people, I think upwards of 100, connected at a time. This is nice for nets and roundtables. All connected users show up on the screen with their call signs and nicknames. The screen is also mice because it has their call sign which is handy if you keep a log or reference them. I can never remember guys callsigns but mostly because they mumble or say it too fast.

I plan on listening in on some other stations tonight. Cool thing is you can RX/TX all over the world. I might have to start keeping a map for recording it all.