Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BackCountry Navigator for Android phones

BackCountry Navigator for Android phones

just starting up a new post for this. You guys may have read about my love of google earth for offroading/mine exploring. That eventually went sour after a few GE updates and a few wrong button pushes leaving me mapless offroad. BackCountry Navagator is a worthy successor.

key points:
    -easy to get free, large, Sat or Topo maps for offline/no signal use
    -import/export google earth .KMZ or .GPX tracks
    -fully optimized multi-touch screen interface
    -simple one touch waypoint input (mark something cool you find)
    -zoom way in for rock by rock directions or way out for the big picture.

http://www.backcountrynavigator.com/...d-gps-software
    the website is cheesy and several versions behind.

Ive been using it for awhile now and it takes a bit of getting used to but It hasnt failed on me in any way yet. You can use a program called MOBAC to get google earth sat maps or ARCsat maps. I actually have the entire SBNF trail system, hammers, cougar buttes, and calico on my phone now. On top of these maps I have all the google earth tracks Ive been collecting for years now.

If you have an android phone and a use for a GPS its a no-brainer at $9 with free maps.

Re: BackCountry Navigator for Android phones

When you say free maps do you mean quad maps? Do you always need a network signal for the maps to work or do they need to be cached. I've seen a lot of guys talk about this over on Expo and have been meaning to give it a try. The only one I've downloaded and played with is gps logger.

Troy, I figured since you'll need to mount that in the truck, you may want to check out http://ram-mount.com/ for mounting solutions. If you didn't already know about them yet.
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike
    When you say free maps do you mean quad maps? Do you always need a network signal for the maps to work or do they need to be cached. I've seen a lot of guys talk about this over on Expo and have been meaning to give it a try. The only one I've downloaded and played with is gps logger.
    is free usgs topo and arial maps. They need to be dowbloaded for offline use.

the great thing about android compared to iOS devices, the typically come with some sort of removable media. so having a few with different map sets is possible and probably not a bad idea.

ill have to give it a try later this year when im out exploring more.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I had planned on having multiple microSD cards but im finding the ARCgis sat images to be very detailed and much smaller MB wise then google earth. Another space saving feature is in MOBAC where I set it to download detailed sat images only 60 meters on either side of the trails in SBNF. this works out since there is no off trail travel allowed anyhow. that brought the SBNF down to 2 gigs from the 15-25 it would have been to DL the whole thing. calico or the hammers cant be cheated like that so they came out to ~3 gigs each. I should mention that topo maps should be considerably smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba
    Troy, I figured since you'll need to mount that in the truck, you may want to check out http://ram-mount.com/ for mounting solutions. If you didn't already know about them yet.
    ill probably use the same suction cup mounts i used for the little tablet i was using. yesterdays john bull came out pretty good. I think we could find our way in the snow now lol

Troy, are you still using this? I have an android phone and am looking for cool usefull apps
    My signature

likewise. ive committed myself to using my phone as a decent gps
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

yes im very happy with it. Its doing everything google earth was for me. I carry SBNF, calico, pismo, cougar buttes, and the hammers with me now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast