Thread: ;) Flush your Clutch Fluid Regularly!

;) Flush your Clutch Fluid Regularly!

So, bet ya'all didn't know that if you don't flush you clutch fluid regularly it turns into almost a jello-y consistency goop full of dirt and moisture, did ya? Yep, even if it's only been two years of driving.

Did you also consider that it will make the clutch slave cylinder piston not return fully, causing your clutch release fork to drag on your throwout bearing and sounds a lot like a pilot or input shaft bearing getting ready to fail? Get enough goop in there and it works it's way down to the master cylinder just like on your brakes.

ChangeOutYourClutchMasterFluid - YouTube

LOL's that it might not have been as bad as I thought (freaking out if I needed to order up a trans rebuild kit). I'll give it a week to see if it was indeed the fix, either way, after all my trips in and out of the desert and over the border, you'd think I'd have realized a lot sooner that even old(er) Toyota's still have clear fluid reservoirs.

Flushed it out fully, then drained the reservoir. Back flushed the line and master to reverse flow any gunk missed, then cleaned all the sludge out of the reservoir. Refilled it and voila!

How about that nice pile of sludge covered starbucks napkins? Better yet, how about the black tar looking fluid? Gotta love Nevada and Mexico dirt.

Bash away, I'm an idiot for not paying attention to it sooner.

Re: ;) Flush your Clutch Fluid Regularly!

I'm been needing to flush my clutch fluid. Mine looks really dark.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I've never had to flush clutch fluid, seems I have always had some issue that comes up about the time it starts looking nasty, and I am pulling the tranny or something, and just drain most of it out anyway.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I flush my brakes and clutch hydraulics once a year. I used to see a lot of problems with this on customers' cars, so I decided years ago to do the preventative maintenance on my vehicles. Good posting, with the video for proof.
    Adam

This has been on my list for a couple of years now.

Do it, apparently it might be borderline too late for me as although the squealing's diminished in pretty much 90% of conditions, it comes back like if say I'm on a grade going up or down (HWY 80 or 50 today). I can even easily make it repeat right in my driveway by just lightly pushing on the clutch fork.

I talked to a shop owner I trust and he/I are on the same page w/ a likely solution/mod that I'll share provided..

1. It actually works.
    2. He'll allow me to share the info and maybe take pics and record part #'s.

~I brought up an old tech bulletin (or service mod/trick) that he/I remember. Til then cross your fingers, slay a chicken and barbeque it, or say a prayer it works because I've had enough of the hamster's having sex in my bellhousing.

I see you lurking Bruce, just because you lurk don't mean you can't reply w/ feedback and laughter.

Also, is that your hoopty bombing the creek in the T/C ad in 4wdTO?