Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FJ80 coils AND air bags?

FJ80 coils AND air bags?

Anyone out there running the FJ80 coils in the rear AND airbags?
    '98 4Runner SR5, V-6, 5-speed, 35" Baja Claws, 17x9 Eagle Alloys, E-Locker, 4.88 Yukon Gears, 3" Susp Lift, 3" Body Lift, 180 amp ALT, Elbow mod, Deckplate Mod, "D" gasket mod, 22" Magnaflow, 231mm Tundra Brakes, 67" TG Sliders, 8500lb Portable Winch Mod, Airlift Bags, Magellan GPS...

Next on the list: Marlin Clutch

My Build Thread: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...ld-thread.html

Re: FJ80 coils AND air bags?

Seanz0rz does.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

thanks dan!

i sure do! i put the air bags in because i tow a trailer.

the ones advertised for the 4runner are too short, i ended up using 2 spacers for each airbag.

you are better off contacting airlift and finding a bag that will fit the fzj80 coils better. possibly airbags for the front of an fzj80 land cruiser if you can.

other than that, they are great.

any other questions?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Did you remove any part of the inner rubber cones? How long have you had them in and how have they held up? Did you set them up to each have their own valve or are they both connected to the same valve? What psi do you normally run them at? Where did you put the valve? That's it!
    '98 4Runner SR5, V-6, 5-speed, 35" Baja Claws, 17x9 Eagle Alloys, E-Locker, 4.88 Yukon Gears, 3" Susp Lift, 3" Body Lift, 180 amp ALT, Elbow mod, Deckplate Mod, "D" gasket mod, 22" Magnaflow, 231mm Tundra Brakes, 67" TG Sliders, 8500lb Portable Winch Mod, Airlift Bags, Magellan GPS...

The 3rd gens have different cone configurations. I actually think there are 3 different versions. I have a '99 with '99 coils and my bump stops were large cones (probably 6" long). I chopped the cone section off so there would be room for the bags. The bags that are sepc'd for the 3rd gens come with instructions telling you what to do with the 3 different bumpers. If you get a bag spec'd for a different vehicle then you'll have to put it all together and see what fits.

I have my bags plumbed together. My rig always sits level (side to side) and I had no desire to deal with leveling it out or messing with pressure all the time. I run about 18 psi all the time in mine and they have been great for the almost 3 years I've had them in. I've jumped the 4runner quite a bit and really worked them over and no problems. I did get a hole in one of the air lines on one trip but it was from rubbing and an ill placed zip tie. My valve is under the factory rear bumper mounted in a factory hole. I didn't want to poke additional holes and found that one. The valve points down but is protected as it's somewhat over the receiver.

I have the long cones too. FYI,I poked my head underneath the truck to see how much gap I got between the bottom of the cone and the top of the bottom seat and it's about 5" or so. I was just curious too about the plumbing of the hose because if having the two bags connected together would it be better for articulation due to having the air pressure forced over from one bag to the other (if one wheel was stuffed and one wasn't). Or maybe the line is so small that this wouldn't be a factor. Not sure.

I don't have cones. recall was never done on my 98 so I didn't have anything.

I have mine plumbed separately. I've had them for 3 years and I usually keep them at 7 psi unless I'm towing then I up them to keep it level.

the valves are just tucked up in the frame rails. not a great install but it works.

I would get different bags next time. all the spacers limit the travel a bit.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I only had a few inches from the bottom of the cone to the bottom of the coil bucket. I think I chopped all the cone part off and only re-installed the top ring of what used to be the cone. My springs are sagged out so I keep air in my bags. The air line goes up through the top of the coil, meets at a T and then goes to the bumper.

You guys are making me think more and more about bags for my Taco for towing.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Bags on a coil rig is nice. They are there, protected and out of the way. I'd do a lot research for bags with leaf springs. If it were me I'd add a zero rate spring or small helper depending on what you're towing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast