Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking into suspension... those with front bumpers

Re: Looking into suspension... those with front bumpers

Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    Ive got an 04, with the Demello bumper, no winch yet, Im running the Toytec Ultimate lift, and Im VERY happy.
    Ric,

Just ordered the ToyTec Ultimate Lift. Did you install it yourself?; and if you did, any issues? I'm looking at the instructions from their site and I'm hoping that it's going to be detailed enough to do it. I take it I'm going to need a spring compressor for the install?

kafene.
    Mark<br />KJ6QXG<br />2004 V8 4Runner 4x4, ToyTec Ultimate Lift, Spydertrax, Yakima roof rack, Gibson exhaust, Stubbs Welding Sliders, P275/70R17 BGF A/T K/O

kafene,

if you need help installing, let me know. I'd be willing to help, and have all the tools necessary here in Redlands.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Navigator

If you've never installed a suspension before, they aren't difficult as long as you are mechanically inclined.. If you are uncomfortable about it at all, help from someone who has done it before is invaluable, and I would suggest taking Sean up on his offer if this is the case.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

I've done far more suspension work than I'm comfortable admitting, but it has given me a lot of experience!

you really should get that suspension done before pismo!!!

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    I've done far more suspension work than I'm comfortable admitting, but it has given me a lot of experience!

you really should get that suspension done before pismo!!!
    Thanks for the offer Sean! I'm somewhat mechanically inclined. I've done suspension work before on my old Maxima, but never on a truck. How long does it take? If it's going to take a few hours, maybe I'll swing by! If it's a day project, I'll do it at home.

Mark.
    Mark<br />KJ6QXG<br />2004 V8 4Runner 4x4, ToyTec Ultimate Lift, Spydertrax, Yakima roof rack, Gibson exhaust, Stubbs Welding Sliders, P275/70R17 BGF A/T K/O

Navigator

I'm not sure what the ToyTec lift entails.. But based on the fact that your truck is pretty new, and, when I saw it, didn't look beat up at all, the old pieces should come off without too much fuss. So if the coilovers are already built than probably 3-5 hours with Sean's experience, if they are not built add about 2 to that.

The biggest time taker is with the older trucks like mine or older where you ALWAYS inevitably need a few parts that you weren't counting on because they either break while being removed or are way more worn out than you thought before
    - Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    Ive got an 04, with the Demello bumper, no winch yet, Im running the Toytec Ultimate lift, and Im VERY happy.
    Just got done installing the Ultimate Lift (not without some hiccups). Now I need some tires. What size are you running? I currently have P265/70R17.

kafene.

seriously though, what problems did you run into? glad you got it all installed and cant wait to see it on some dirt or sand again!

Hahaha... I'll be posting some pics soon. I wanted to take an "after" shot before posting. Everything was fine, but the job is definitely a two man job (the second person mainly needed for holding stuff out of the way or holding something down, etc.). I ended up accidentally cutting the wire in the back. The ABS and traction lights lit up in the dash. I was able to splice the wires back and use shrink wire tubing to fix it. I noticed that there's some leak in the CV boot. That was there before the install. The other side was already changed prior while under extended warranty. The CV boot looks intact, but is leaking at the small hose ring area. I just got some CV boot grease. I'll inject it back in and clamp it with a hose ring I have laying around.

Any thoughts on what size tire I can get now? I'm thinking of getting the same size I have now of P265/70R17, but thought I'd be able to go bigger now that I have the lift installed. Not sure how big I can go without major cutting (some cutting I don't mind). I want to go bigger, wider if possible without using spacers (not that I mind, but I just can't spend the money).

Navigator

I dont know a whole lot about 4th gens, but I would guess you should be able to fit 285/70r17 now
    - Kevin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast