Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HID factory fog lights possible?

Re: HID factory fog lights possible?

I guess I did put a few pics up here, just not a lot of detail.

http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...6&topic=4960.0

The video shows them on but not the real color. The Hella 500's are actually quite blue when standing out of the vehicle looking at them. They are beyond bright so you don't even notice the color especially since you can't see any other lights to compare them to. While driving they are a cold color but not bad at all.

Awesome. Thanks for the input guys. How accurate is the DDM color chart?

I'd like to a color as close to white as possible. If that chart is accurate, I like 5000k, or maybe 4500k, the best. I'm not looking for a ricer (or flatbiller ) look. Just a color that most of the factory HIDs seem to have.

Mike, you have 4500s in your Micro DEs in that video, correct?
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I'd say the chart is accurate. Just know that when you're out of the vehicle looking at the light it's bluish especially compared to the headlights.

Yes I have the 35w, 4500k in the fogs. Our Subaru has the 35w, 3000k.

I think your biggest problem will be the length of the bulb though. Search YT for the mod. They have pics with measurements. It was too close for me so I got the new housings. It was totally worth it.

Thanks. When I do the fog lights, I'll be getting the new housing as well.

Mike, you can turn off the headlights and still run your fog lights? I can't do that on mine. The fog lights turn off whenever I turn off my headlights, even if I still have the parking lights on. And when I turn on my parking lights, my DRLs still stay on. Makes me wonder why there is even a parking light option.

I'll be upgrading the headlights to HIDs as well, so I'm not too concerned about the colors not matching. I'll have to disable the DRLs though...
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

There is a mod I can link when I get to a computer. You will have to disable your DRL's though. I have a '99 so I didn't have anything to disable. Stay tuned.

Ok, here is the link.
    http://www.top4runners.com/ja/fogmod.html

His site is actually very helpful with information.

Tell you what. Since you're getting new housings as well I'll offer you a chance for some 4500k bulbs. I have a set of extra 4500k bulbs from the kit I put on our Subaru. When they were too blue I pulled them and ordered the 3000k. If you're on the fence between 2 color choices and one is the 4500k get the other one. I'll send you the 4500k if you cover shipping. If you get the 3000k and like the 4500k's I'll trade you bulbs.

I sold my factory Kiotos with all the wiring and whatnot from the yellow and blue kit really fast so you'll be able to recoup some cost.

I found some time this past weekend to swap out my 35 watt, 4500k bulbs for some 35 watt, 3000k ones. There was nothing wrong with the 4500's but the blue color bugged me. They were great from a drivers perspective. Nice and white but they were blue compared to my headlights.

The 3000k are yellow with a hint of blue. As a result when pointed at a wall the edges look kind of green. I have never noticed this on our Subaru which has the same bulbs and DDM kit. One big difference with the Subaru fogs is the light it self. It's much larger in diameter and doesn't have the cut off shield like the Micro DE's do.

Anywho, I like the 3000k's in the Micro DE's more than I do the 4500k's. They still don't match the headlights but I feel less annoying on the road with my blue lights.

Side by side mid way through the swap.

On the wall. Low beams and 4500k.

One the wall. Low beams and 3000k. Still need to adjust the fog lights.

I wanted to post up some pictures so folks have a real life reference. I couldn't find much when I first started looking.

Awesome! Thanks Mike! I put off buying the lights with the holidays here, and I just found out that our contract is over in Feb and I'll be unemployed, so I'm going to be in money conservation mode until I have another job lined up. Not sure I'll be buying new lights anytime soon. They're not really a necessity.

I really appreciate all the input everybody has given. Thanks guys! You all are awesome.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12