Thread: LED Turn / Emergency Strobe Lights

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

LED Turn / Emergency Strobe Lights

So I was looking for a way to enhance the turn signals and hazards on my 4Runner. I looked into LED bulb swaps, and they were OK, but had a few problems. The biggest of those problems was I was never really happy with the turn signals on my Shrockworks bumper. They were low and hard to see, especially in the daytime, or from any angle other than normal to the light itself.

In my search, I thought about making my own. I realized that option was just too time consuming, and they would not be sealed, they would be more likely to fail due to vibration, etc. I then set my sights after a commercially available product.

I came across these amber strobe/solid lights so I ordered 4 lights, grommets, and right angle wiring harnesses.

Then I had to figure out how to mount them. I eventually decided that buying some cheap pre-cut mounts was much better than making a set of my own. I found some, and for less than 20 dollars, I had mounts.

Since my 1" body lift left a pretty big gap under my headlights, I decided to mount the lights there.

After removing the grill and marker lights, I positioned the bracket and marked it:

Once I removed the headlight, I punched the holes:

I drilled the holes with a 5/16” bit and installed the brackets with 1/4” hardware so there would be plenty of adjustment room. It was getting dark, so I finished in a hurry and didn’t snap any more pictures. The wiring is simple: ground to the body, black (constant on) to the turn signal, and red back to the cab for a later switch for the strobes.

Here is a picture of them illuminated:

For the rear facing lights, I knew I wanted them up high. Several positions were considered, but the only one that made sense was the one I chose, up on the roof rack.

That meant drilling a big hole in the roof of my truck.

Lights were mounted:

And wired:

I ran a few extra wires up there as well for future expansion. Everything has since been sealed up with silicone, and I do not expect any leaks. Turn signals were tapped off of each light.

Finally, an electronic flasher was swapped in to keep everything flashing appropriately.

Pictures do not do justice to how bright these are. Even in full sun you can tell that they are flashing.

I spent more money on the strobes for a reason. I’ve found myself in situations where strobes would have been nice, like alerting traffic to an accident, or traveling on dusty roads or in foggy conditions where visibility is questionable. Also, they are cool…

I also added LEDs to my 3rd brake light:

Thanks for reading, I will update when I get the strobes wired up. I am really happy with the end result. The oval lights are a bit "commercial" but they serve their purpose well.

I should also add that im going to work on making these DRL as well. i just need to sit down and figure out the relay configuration for getting the turns to work as well.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-25-2013 at 04:46 PM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.