Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Our new popup camper

Our new popup camper

For the past year, the wife and I have been tossing around the idea of getting a popup camper to take to the mountains around here. Free camping around here means staying on national forest land but the wife insists on having a bathroom nearby, even if it's a pit style bathroom. Well, everybody else in the valley, who are trying to escape the heat, have the same idea so that also means we're surrounded by idiots. So our solution was to get a camper so we can get out to the middle of nowhere on national forest land.

After about a month of searching craigslist and visiting the local RV dealers, we finally found a really nice camper that was perfect for us. This is a 2003 Coleman/Fleetwood Taos.

It's pretty much the smallest modern camper made which is exactly what I wanted for the trails. The previous owner did a SOA conversion to give it a small lift. As it sits now, I have 1.5 feet of clearance between the ground and the frame.

I'll probably end up doing a couple inch block lift and maybe put bigger car tires on. It also definitely needs armor.

Other possible mods include a larger water tank (existing is 5 gallons), water heater, shower, electric water pump, propane heater, residential wood flooring.

Here's the interior:

It'll be a challenge to figure out where to put everything, but I think I can do it.

Oh, and the ruffled curtain hanging thingies have got to go.

One last pic of the back.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Re: Our new popup camper

I like it. Now with a 2 year old and another on the way I think it would nice to have a little trailer. Yours appears to be in great shape and a nice compact size.

Does the sink work from a foot pump? You mentioned no pump which might mean no wiring.

If I had one I'd mod the heck out of it with LED's, sink/outside shower and outside BBQ of sorts. If there is space a larger water tank might be nice but 5 gallons might be a good size, just bring jugs to fill it up. Is the current tank inside the trailer or under in the frame rails? If it's under I'm sure space is limited not to mention vulnerable to rocks.

That is a nice little one...we have a Coleman Nevada. I am not sure I can tent camp again.
    1995 4runner--SAS'd and armored--GONE

1998 4Runner--under construction--GONE

2003 4runner...the new project

very nice, I remember the first 4runner jambo we went to out here, we did the tent thing, well it rained one night, it was cold and wet, wasnt fun at all, the next year we reanted a pop-up, and yes it rained again, but WOOOW what a difference, everything was warm and dry, made for a GREAT weekend.

Well since then, Ive set up runner to sleep out of it, but it still doesnt compair to a pop-up but for the now single guy, it works great, lol

Does yours have the shower thing on the side ?

Congrads on the new toy, you are going to love it.
    Buy cool Wheeling shirts: http://www.cafepress.com/Rix_Designz

Very nice. I had a Fourwheel Pop-Up camper (not trailer) and sold it after 8 months of use. Besides having to choose between driving around with it on the truck all the time or constantly loading and unloading it, it's biggest downside was the fact that you would get to camp, get it level and everything setup for camping, then you'd need to drive somewhere. I swore next time I did it I would buy a pop up trailer instead so I can setup camp, disconnect the thing and have the 4Runner to drive around. It's so nice to have a cushioned bed and hot water. And these are so small and light they aren't a burden to tow. Congrats!

That little knob looking thing on the sink is actually the hand pump. You just pull it up and push it down and it pumps water. There is some electrical but only for 120V AC when it's plugged into electrical service, and also 12V DC for the overhead lights and gas leak monitor.

I hear you on modding it with LEDs and they're on the list for the interior and exterior. I want to put some outside flood lights on the roof for setup, some reverse lights (amazingly, there are no reverse lights),and maybe some "rock lights" to help with leveling and stabilizer setup.

The stove can be moved to a removable shelf that attaches right beside the door on the outside. It shouldn't be too hard to plumb in our weber gas bbq to fit in the same area. There's already a gas line with quick disconnect that go to that area.

Five gallons would probably be ok for a few days if nobody takes a shower, but I think we would need more if they do take showers.

What some people do for showers is attached a large plastic tub to the floor under the seats, plumb in a drain and hang a shower curtain from the ceiling. The water tank for the sink sits right under the sink, not underneath. I was going to hang a fresh water tank and a holding tank underneath, but then I got to thinking if it gets really cold, the water would freeze, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do there.

Ric, currently, the wife and I setup a tent and put all our stuff in it, while we sleep in the truck too. Sleeping in the truck is the way to go. No shower thing on the outside.
    Steve

Ken, that's the same reason I don't like the truck bed tents. If you need to go anywhere, you have to take it all down.

This one weighs in at 1200 lbs and I can barely feel it. It has electric brakes, but I don't have a controller yet and I couldn't tell it was there. However, a controller will be one of the first things I buy.
    Steve

One thing I love about my popup is that we leave everything in there except for a rubbermaid tub of consumable items and another for food. So when we want to go out, we just pack up food and clothes and we are ready to go as soon as we can hitch up.

Check out www.popupportal.com, its not hardcore offroad trailer stuff, but they have a lot of good ideas for storage, battery power, and small modifications for convenience.
    [quote author=fustercluck link=topic=2107.msg22283#msg22283 date=1188483178]<br />I&#39;m with Intrepid, there&#39;s no use making a project out of it.<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Mistakes: Perhaps it is the purpose of your life to serve as an example to others.

That's our plan too...keep most thing in there and just hitch up and go.

I'm already a member there and have to chuckle at some of their mods and some people's idea of camping. When I start modifying mine, I'll have a build thread over there and here.
    Steve

i love it!

alexus and i are really interested in picking one up. i would of course probably throw a new frame under it and modify it for dirt road / light trail use.

that one looks mighty nice!

if you dont mind my asking, how much did you pay (ballpark)? we are looking at a pretty low cost of entry, so i dont think ill get anything nearly as new as what you have.

2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast