Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Our new popup camper

Re: Our new popup camper

I don't think this one needs a new frame, just maybe some reinforcement in key locations and removal of some members to clear bigger tires. If I remember right, I think all colemans have a fully boxed frame, at least I know mine does.

Other than a lift, I think it could use some softer suspension and damping to help with washboard roads. Washboard roads will kill the interior. Even the guy we bought it from said he's had to go through and tighten the screws holding the cabinets together.

The stock suspension uses these tiny little leaf springs with no shackles and no shocks. It gets its damping from the back of the leaf spring rubbing on the frame. Going with car tires and airing down would help a lot too.

We picked it up for $2300. It seems like these coleman taos campers go for around $2500 and even right now, there is a 97 here in phx for sale for $2300.

If you want to restore one, you can pick one up for as little as a few hundred dollars. The biggest expense would be new canvas and you're looking at $1000-$1500. There are a few projects on the popupportal where they are doing frame off restorations and it seems pretty straight forward. It also seems like prices in california are better than the phoenix area. I missed a fully loaded taos in san diego for $1900.

Keep in mind that these trailers are pretty wide and it would be tough to get one through rock crawling trails. Having said that, I've got ideas for some armor.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I have been having trouble with the doors on mine...the lock on the stepper door broke on out last trip and I drove it home with ratchet straps around the whole thing.

Mine is big and heavy too, 4runner hates pulling it up the hills.

1995 4runner--SAS'd and armored--GONE

1998 4Runner--under construction--GONE

2003 4runner...the new project

change springs, Use shocks to stop fishtailing and lower washboard rattle.
    Maybe airlift, Run it lower profile on the highway and raise it for the trail, Also makes it quick to put on and take off the corner jacks.

That camper is huge, Marc. Where does the door go?
    Steve

Looks great. I'm a little jealous!
    99 Taco 2.7/ It&#39;s got stuff<br /><br />[quote author=troyboy162 link=topic=8256.msg78136#msg78136 date=1255335181]Toyota never built a rock brawlin/pimp mobile...you have strayed from the intended use&nbsp; <br />[/quote]

This is a little OT, but there are some pretty fancy tent trailers available in other countries. I like the European way of traveling small and light. Check this thing out:

WANT!!

Whoa, that's pretty sweet!
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

I am anxious to see your build thread. Lift, larger tires, better suspension, awnings, LEDs galore...

Thanks. I need to hit the local trailer places to see about bigger axles and what my options are to get truck tires on there. Axles themselves seem pretty cheap as it looks like I can get a 2000 lb axle for about $100-150.

The first order of business, however, is to make a "fence" for the side yard so that people walking behind the house can't see it. I have a view lot and technically, I'm not supposed to have a trailer back there, I think.
    Steve

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast