Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: now SC'd

Re: now SC'd

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike
    MTL--I would go with boost activation at something like 3 psi. I like the idea of the intercooling effect.

I'm looking at using it on my diesel to get some additional intercooling for the turbo and to lower my exhaust temps (in a gas motor you'd see knock, diesels just melt parts ). When I tow heavy in the summer my exhaust temps skyrocket under load (esp on steep greades) and many have had great luck keeping them in check with a water/meth setup. You can experiment with the sizes of nozzles, triggers (boost pressure, EGT, pedal position, etc) and the water/meth percentage (don't go over 50% methanol though). As long as it's set up right, I think it will work very well for you in this application and often you can pick up more HP and torque in the process because of the intercooling effect.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by iceman601
    Nice! ....clean engine bay too.

I wanted so bad to dirty it up some. I should have brought over so skittles and carmel apples. That reminds me, Ken let me know when you do the meth injection. I'll bring the snacks.

If you guys haven't seen TexasAce's video on what water/methanol does to intake temps, take a look here:
    (HD) Texas_Ace 4runner Meth injection Temperature Drop Demo

144 degrees to 77 degrees, and that was without a load and on the outside of the case.

Cool video. Now, *Having not used any of this stuff and only seen it in use without asking at the time, my concerns are the following...

1. Accidental failure in a part of the system resulting in too much methanol/water, or whatever percentage getting in and basically hydraulically locking a piston up and killing rods, etc.

2. Methanol's effects on older components, rings, seals, etc. When we switched a system from one type of fuel to a different blend (as in California Gas w/ Ethanol versus Oregon and it's better grade fuel~IMHO) rubber seals, vacuum lines, pvc system, and O2 sensor's failed on the three fleet trucks all within a 5 month period. Is this a risk?

3. Too much rapid cooling and how it affects the read and mapping ability of the ECM.

4. How much Toyota would laugh at you if you brought it in for a recall or warranty issue with that on it. *Yes, people who use this are more likely to do their own stuff, but even I've had to deal w/ Toyota America and battle it out for proper refund/credit on something not directly related to an issue, but their excuse had a point.

5. California Emissions versus this. There's always certain, a-hem counties in the state that don't require as many tests as often, but you need to prove residency upon request and are also subject to a "Smog Check Lottery" of sorts, randomly selected people in said counties IIRC get pulled in to Test Only Stations.

6. Why you don't just give me your drivetrain and buy a Toyota 8cyl so two of us get what we want instead of just one. More POWAH!

mad max 1 and 2 ford falcon v8 interceptor scenes

Somehow I see him cooking more than just tires running an Auto and beating on it like this.
    (HD) Texas_Ace TRD Supercharged 4runner Street Pulls & Burnout

Congrats Peddlenbike. Welcome to the club. I just wish you better luck with the URD mods than Ive had myself. Jamie knows the problems Ive had. And some of them still do stand. My truck has her good days and bad. Just changed my belt this weekend and seeing 8 1/2 - 9 psi put a smile back on my face .

I was looking into the methanol injection too since Im out in Arizona. But, Id like to stay away from URD.

When you do the mod let us know how it works for you and how easy it is to tune/setup everything.
    96 4Runner SR5 S/C - 03&#039; Tacoma coils 3&#039;&#039; Toytec Spacer lift with 1&#039;&#039; Diff Drop. 3 1/2&#039;&#039; Downey Rear lift Coil Springs.<br /><br />285/75R/16 Goodyear MT/R.<br /><br />URD Fuel Kit

I would like to know more about the problems you are experiencing. Are they tuning related?

Nice 4runner burnout video, too bad he's only got one wheel going but still cool. Looks like he's got a bunch of good videos on water/meth injection setup/tuning on the 4runner too. Interesting thing I heard him say was that with the water/meth injection he was able to go back to the stock fuel mapping without any knock issues.

If you're looking for a progressive controller then typically you'll need to run an aquamist/snow/devil's own controller setup ($500-1000), but if you are just looking for a simple tuneable on/off setup you can build one yourself for not alot of money.

You'll need:
    • PWM Controller (http://www.bakatronics.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=581)
    • Pump 200+ psi (make sure it's made for methanol use!)
    • Nozzle (lots of brands, experiment with cc/GPH sizes)
    • Solenoid (12V and compatible with methanol)
    • Boost Pressure Switch (adjustable for your psi range)
    • Nylon Tubing
    • Tank Float Sensor (not needed if you use the washer fluid tank, sensor on dash)
    • Tank or washer fluid tank tap (Devil's own)

Methanol is fairly easy to get and mix yourself. Sold under many names including Hydroxymethane, Methyl alcohol, Methyl hydrate, Methyl hydroxide, Methylic alcohol, Methylol, Wood alcohol. You can find it cheap in most paint sections of your local home improvement store. I would suggest only mixing with water that has been distilled or been through reverse osmosis to remove impurities. If you decide to run washer fluid, then stick to the blue stuff and stay away from anything that says "De-icer" on it anywhere.
    - Jamie<br /><br />1996 SR5 4Runner 4X4 Auto, Deckplate Mod,&nbsp; Hayden Tranny Cooler,&nbsp; Amsoil Air Filter, OME 881/906 N86C/N91SC Lift - SOLD, but still miss it!<br /><br />2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 4WD

Sorry at work at the moment. Yeah they are pretty much tuning related. I have the URD fuel injector kit that replaces all injectors. And the Split second timing/fuel piggyback ecu. If you go through some of my older posts you can get more info from that than I can probly remember.
    96 4Runner SR5 S/C - 03&#039; Tacoma coils 3&#039;&#039; Toytec Spacer lift with 1&#039;&#039; Diff Drop. 3 1/2&#039;&#039; Downey Rear lift Coil Springs.<br /><br />285/75R/16 Goodyear MT/R.<br /><br />URD Fuel Kit

I have done that type of tuning and it is not super easy. OBD scantool for closed loop tuning and wideband tuning for open loop, with all of the understanding on what the ECU is trying to do in the background. I plan to run the 7th injector setup, which is a little simpler...fuel enrichment in certain places and some timing changes in others. That said I will probably be on here later looking for guidance.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast