Thread: VSC Trac, VSC off, slip indicator, CEL, P0456

VSC Trac, VSC off, slip indicator, CEL, P0456

Just wanted to pass this along.

Yesterday when I got in the 2007 4runner to go to work, the check engine light, VSC Trac, VSC off, and the slip indicator light stayed on after I started the engine.

I plugged in the scan gauge 2 to pull the codes and the only thing that came up was P0456, which is Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (Very Small Leak). A google search came up with gas cap leak so I went to check it out and it was tight. I took it off and looked at the o-ring and it looked fine so I put it back on, cleared the code and started up the engine again. Well, it came right back on. Perplexed, I drove the old 4runner in to work and thought about what the problem could be.

After doing a little more research, I came across somebody who said to make sure you test how easy it is to loosen, not just tighten until it clicks and assume it's good. Well, that was my mistake, I didn't pay attention to how easy it was to loosen and when I tried it, sure enough, it was way too easy to loosen.

So that's the lesson here, pay attention to tightening and loosening of the cap. $21 later, I had a new OEM cap and no more problems.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Re: VSC Trac, VSC off, slip indicator, CEL, P0456

This is good to know. We had the same problem with our Subaru. I guess they had a lot of problems with the caps so they replaced it for free. I could tighten the heck out of the thing but like you said, it was too easy to remove. Took me a new cap to notice.

Re: VSC Trac, VSC off, slip indicator, CEL, P0456

Good to know, thanks Steve
    -Lee
    2013 BMW X6 50i