Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Mojave Road Expedition: March 30 - April 1, 2012

Re: Mojave Road - March 30 - April 1, 2012

no way i could do that. i actually have friday off for Cesar Chavez day, thats the only reason i can even think about doing it on friday.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

First 2 posts updated with a bunch of information.

got my new mojave road guide book and map yesterday. the additional gps coordinates make me feel a bit better about going, as well as having improved maps and good gps system on my android.

.gpx and .kml files are up to date as of this post.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

love it! I have the courds for a large mine along the route I wouldn't mind scouting if you are interested. it is close to the first night camping spot. I promise not to go in or I would be there all day

fuel... I talked to a prerunner friend and he said he needed 10 gallons extra. Is that about what you heard?

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162
    love it! I have the courds for a large mine along the route I wouldn't mind scouting if you are interested. it is close to the first night camping spot. I promise not to go in or I would be there all day

fuel... I talked to a prerunner friend and he said he needed 10 gallons extra. Is that about what you heard?
    awesome! id be interested in checking out some of the mines as well! also the lava tubes just before camp 3 are high on my list.

for fuel, when we did this in '08 i took 10 extra gallons of fuel with me and that was plenty. i refueled at camp 3, and i think i was able to make it home on that. im going to have to figure out how to carry an extra 5 gallons since i dont think i can fit 2 jerry cans on the back of the 4runner.

I'm seriously thinking about driving out for this. We'll see how the job search pans out.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

My last trip with my 4runner, with all our side trips, I needed every bit of 10 extra gallons to make it. That was prior to regearing and we did a lot of side trips
    My signature

Chris, im curious, how big is the tank on your 2nd gen? my 3rd gen is 18.5

im considering carrying 15 gallons extra, just to be safe. may have to go where the spare tire used to go with a custom holder.

i dont plan on going down to hole in the wall, as cool as it is. its just a pretty big detour, and i think there are better sights to see. thats a fair bit of savings there.

i remember our actual mileage was somewhere around 168 miles. that includes getting stuck on the wrong side of the tracks and nearly going over that waterfall at the cinder cones.

bummer, I just realized I have a wedding to go to that weekend in VA. You all have fun....maybe I can still make it out that way sometime though....
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I want to say that the 2nd gen is close to 18, but I could be wrong, it's been awhile since I drove it. Yeah, the combo of the automatic, 33's not regeared, and all the extra miles were the killer. The first trip I did, we did it in two days with no side trips and I made it with 5 gallons extra. The trip you did with me, we did a ton of side trip miles, waterfalls, extra low bridges, etc... adding to that LOL
    My signature

somehow in all the prep work i forgot to mention that it is very easy to join us at a later time, on one of the cross roads, or meet us at one of the predetermined camps. come out for one of the days, or join us part way through or leave early.

on feb 15, i will cross post this to ExPo if we dont have enough people.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast