Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mojave Road Expedition: March 30 - April 1, 2012

Navigator

Re: Mojave Road - March 30 - April 1, 2012

To those of you that have done this road before, do you think a stock 2wd v6 03 Tundra can make the road? I'm thinking about inviting my friend along who I know would enjoy it if his truck can do it. He is a good driver and knows his truck very well so the truck would be limiting factor more than driver.
    - Kevin

2018 Taco TRD Pro - 2.5" lift, 33" tires, everything else stock.
    2012 Triumph Tiger XC - Stock

kevin, most likely a 2wd 03 tundra would be fine. depending on conditions, he may have to skip soda lake and the mojave river portions.

can you give us a bit more info about the vehicle? specifically tires, size, model, etc. i think if we air him down pretty low he should be ok, and maybe tug him in a few spots if its an issue. as i remember, i did 90% of the road in 2wd anyway.

another concern is weight, camper shell, lots of stuff, etc.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

talking to my friend it sounds pretty crappy for a showroom stock 2wd. his group was all modded prerunners and found they could not stop in the deep sand washes and had to use speed alot to keep from getting stuck.
    I do not know if they were on the same exact trail we would be taking

on the western side, there is much deep, loose sand. that is the issue i think a 2wd will have (as well as the lake)

http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...6&topic=9931.0

we also ran the central part (kelbaker rd to lanfair rd) and it was pretty chill dirt road.

as an update, got a few more items we needed for the trip, including a second gas can. i thought i had designed my carrier to handle 2, but i guess not! ill have to make some modifications. ohwell!

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Oh I forgot the obvious question...We will call this an expedition right?
    I'm pumped for this one!

absolutely!

actually on the drive to school today i was thinking i want to come up with another word that describes it a bit better. something shorter than an expedition, but longer than a trip, day run, etc. ill come up with something eventually.

added weather info to first post, and changed the title to make Troy happy!

Re: Mojave Road Expedition: March 30 - April 1, 2012

Anyone else interested? 5 weeks and i throw it to the expo crowd to fight over.

I will be doing a demo of the pullpal while on the trip, probably in soft sand.

also added to first post, the need for sanitation methods.

Damn, I may actually be able to make this one. Will check my schedule and let you know. Might bring the family along.
    Mark<br />KJ6QXG<br />2004 V8 4Runner 4x4, ToyTec Ultimate Lift, Spydertrax, Yakima roof rack, Gibson exhaust, Stubbs Welding Sliders, P275/70R17 BGF A/T K/O

we would love to have you! and absolutely bring the family!

Hey guys, this sounds like a lot of fun! I'm considering making the weekend portion of the trip (maybe even showing up Friday night). The only tough part would be bringing along extra fuel. Although if it's only 2 days, with a 20 gallon tank I might be able to make it without?

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast