Thread: Fuse/Circuit breaker placement

Fuse/Circuit breaker placement

I know the answer is closest to the battery but that spot is super cramped for a clean install. I have a piece of 8 gage wire going from the battery to the about the factory radio spot, through the firewall. At one end is the battery, the other end is a Blue Sea with 6 fused spots.

I never put in a fuse and figured it's been a few years so I better do it. The length of wire is about 5 feet long. Does it really make that much of a difference if I put it right at the battery versus on the inside of the firewall? I like the firewall idea because it's inside where it's nice and dry versus crammed and exposed to the wet and engine heat.

I kind of know my answer but wanted a little input before I go cutting stuff.

Thanks

Re: Fuse/Circuit breaker placement

point of the fuse close to the battery is to prevent over current. in the event the wire short to the firewall, this fuse should blow, reducing the chance of a fire.

up to you to risk it. I wouldn't.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

This style circuit breaker may help you in tight places. I've been using one of these 60A breakers for the last 2 years on my accessory circuits. I'll echo the general wisdom of keeping the circuit breaker on the battery side of the firewall - might prevent you from having to use the fire extinguisher one day

ebay search "inline circuit breaker"
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread

mike, what keith posted is what you need!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz
    point of the fuse close to the battery is to prevent over current. in the event the wire short to the firewall, this fuse should blow, reducing the chance of a fire.

up to you to risk it. I wouldn't.
    Wouldn't risk a couple of feet? If there was a short at either side the circuit breaker would go right?

Quote Originally Posted by corax
    This style circuit breaker may help you in tight places. I've been using one of these 60A breakers for the last 2 years on my accessory circuits. I'll echo the general wisdom of keeping the circuit breaker on the battery side of the firewall - might prevent you from having to use the fire extinguisher one day

ebay search "inline circuit breaker"

I actually got this exact breaker in the mail today. I bought it awhile ago and it finally showed, hence the question. I like it more than the other one I was going to get because it will be a cleaner install. Now I just need to find the location.